My Perfect iTunes Scam

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mystixman, Mar 4, 2004.

1. ij3ffy macrumors newbie

Why not just skip all that and take their money and put it in your pocket instead of putting it in the cash register? At least you would be cutting through all the B.S. and getting right to the stealing. What amazes me is your excitement about this. What kinda school you go to? Hopefully a grade school or a special education school, then that way you can at least justify your moronic behavior in some fashion. Anyone that would sell out their decency for $24.75 is nothing to take pride in.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Along those same lines....

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

They let him open them for him, they don't ask if he has any cold ones, or even watch the guy as he opens their pop for them ... yeah i'm victim blaming ... but half the problem is what the victim does perhaps they should be wonderign why they always get a winner or they should goto a pop machine if this is really becoming a problem to them personally.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Basically it is theft.

As to the girls. That is like saying that since you work in a cafeteria, you will always work in a cafeteria. Or at the least you might move up to the QwikiMart. I would hope that is not the case.

So hopefully you learned one of two things. Either keep something like this to yourself and live with bad karma, or do the right thing by people. I hope it is the later.

5. jenniff macrumors member

I still don't like your logic. It's such a stretch, hehe. I'm sure the chicas don't care, which is why they don't make a fuss when he opens their Pepsi for them.

I just know that Jiminy Cricket wouldn't like the whole situation.

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I know you're kidding, but there is a possibility that, out of 100 bottles, none are winners, and yet 1/3 are still winners overall. That's just the laws of chance, not to mention bias due to geographical distribution, etc. And 100 is not a very big sample number: if you had 1000 bottles, I would have thought the number would have been closer to 333.

The original poster is acting slightly imorraly in my opinion but then it's not a huge deal. You could argue that looking up the winner by doing that angle trick is cheating. Of course, I've never seen, or will ever likely to see, one of these bottles because the chances of a Pepsi promotion or even iTMS Europe arriving any time soon are very slim. So count yourself lucky, even if you do buy a Pepsi at the same time!

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

good work, i dont see anything wrong with what you are doing, use your initiative and reap the rewards. i dont see why so many people are making such a fuss about it!

8. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

9. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Because iTunes is the devil!

10. TheWitePony macrumors regular

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

:gives props:

congrads on stealing away their chances at a contest!

Why the hell even post this, your gonna get flamed...

Also what your doing is illegal. You can't sell people products with the notion that they are winners but also have already redeemed their 'winner' caps already.

Its not only immoral, but illegal.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hehe, and you posted proof of a crime online! That's about as bad as those people who videotape their crime sprees. Good luck if anyone ever connects your IRL identity with this one!

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm not going to rag on you as much as everyone else here for the act itself. Well, those who aren't congratulating you. But to come to a place like this and brag about doing something that, at the very least, is a little morally ambiguous, and be surprised by the negative reaction... well, that's just dumb.

You know, maybe I will rag on you. Who knows, maybe they'd never use them. Maybe they would have just tossed them. But maybe they wouldn't have. You don't know. Maybe they'd give them to someone who would have used it. They didn't give them to you, you took them.

Couldn't you just have asked them if they minded? Said you were recycling, or something? Then you'd just be a liar instead of a petty thief.

14. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

It's not so much theft as it is fraud. And fraud looks a lot worse on your record than petty theft. Also think of all the people who bought the bottles hoping for a winner. All in all you screwed 100 people, not just the 25 cosmo students.

You are honestly just a lousy piece of crap.

Why don't you just kick my dog while you're at it. Later you can boink my mom, no she's not hot, and then rape me.

15. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Well I would look at it practically...Unless the guy is a genius he wont be able to memorize the code by one look..so he would be like really looking at the cap..And now think of a customer who is aware of itunes and the song giveaway..his first reaction would be to look at the cap..and not stand on his/her as* and watch the guy over the counter preparing the drink..
    so i feel really theres no harm done..
    For example, there is an offer at grocery store that you buy a pepsi, u get a free candy or if you dont take it, its thrown in trash...., and a buyer doesnt eat candy, doesnt know candy exists, never seen anyone eating candy, ...in that case, rather trash it, its better if the shopkeeper whoz a candy addict gets the candy,,,,
    so..u know...:p

16. Edot macrumors 6502

Good Idea!

I know someone who is going to get to the 200 max easy! That is $200 worth of songs that young people just gave to him. I will post of pic of all of them when he gets to 200. The extras are mine!:D

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What? You want props for ripping people off? What are you, 13 (no offense to the nondeviant 13yr olds on this board)?

Lethal

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It may be a small and relatively harmless scam, but it's always bad karma to rip people off. If you're not careful, you're going to come back in the next life as something really tiny. Do you really want to be a centipede?

19. sinbushar macrumors regular

i serioulsy feel disgusted when reading this...mostly due to the fact that this creep is doing this, and partly due to the fact that half of you support him...

stealing is stealing...there really isn't any other way to look at it...the fact that you are bragging about it is even more disturbing....

*blech*...get a life...and try to develop a conscience

20. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ur just one machiavelli arent u.

watever floats ur boat

21. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i think it's a great idea! would i do it now? no, i'm too old and don't need to. but i'm sure i would have when i was a teenager. i agree that these girls couldn't give a swimming f*ck about iTunes and they'd just throw the cap in the garbage moments later. he could follow them around with rubber gloves on fishing their caps out of the trash. would that make it better in some way? if they wanted their cap they could just ask for it. i do it all the time. sometimes i like having the cap so i can throw it in a bag or something for later. i really don't see the big deal.

yeah, i know it's wrong to stereo type cosmetology babes but i'm gonna anyway. after all, stereotypes exist for a reason. trust me, i dated a cosmetology/fashion student. she called my Mac an "Apple", she thought America Online was "the internet", and she never figured out how to use her iPod. and she would NOT have asked for the cap back. damn it's true, NOBODY stands up for the geeks. i don't think of this dude as a criminal, just a resourceful nerd. and i mean that in a good way.

and further more, i don't think this is even punishable by law. so then it's not illegal, right? sneaky, but not illegal. don't be jealous.

22. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Am I missing how this is any different from a waiter or waitress adding 99 cents to your bill when they run your credit card? They won it. It's theirs, and you stole it. If I throw away a dollar bill, it's my choice. But just because I threw away one dollar doesn't mean you get to take my wallet.

As for not being punishable by law, of course it is. Don't be daft. More importantly, so what if it isn't punishable, that has nothing to do with it being wrong. That's the same idiocy behind the idea that something is only illegal if you get caught. Following that reasoning further, it's only REALLY wrong if you get convicted.

23. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

no of course not, but i do get to go in the trash and get that dollar if i want it. don't tell me you wouldn't pick up a $100 bill that someone (hypothetically of course) threw into the trash knowingly. you're saying "that guy has the right to throw his money away without me going and getting it afterwards. if he wants it in the trash, then in the trash it shall stay..." c'mon, that's absurd. and a lie. so ok, let's say i'm NOT psychic and you give each of these broads a fair shake and let 'em walk off with their winning cap. you see her toss it in the trash down the hall. are you saying it's wrong to take it out of the garbage? that's all i am seeing this as, only saving a trip into the trash can.

we are talking about a young kid here. is this really that big a deal? a kid could be spending his time plotting MUCH worse schemes than this. i just don't think it's a big deal. it's kinda funny to me. again, i wouldn't do it myself because i am an adult who knows better but i can see a younger, stupider, broker version of myself doing something like this. that is, if i ever thought of something like this. i'm not a very good schemer though. so what, the kid gets $25 worth of free music that would have ended up never getting redeemed anyway. B-F-D

24. russed macrumors 68000

russed

its getting quite ethical all this isnt it! it almost puts me in the mood for writing my ethics essay - yet again maybe not!

25. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

from the Official Rules on Apple's Site...

2. WHERE TO FIND GAME PIECES: Look for game piece printed underneath bottle caps on specially-marked “iTunes” 20 oz. and 1 liter bottles of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Sierra Mist and under the rim of specially-marked 32 oz. fountain cups available at participating 7 Eleven convenience stores during the Promotion Period. Not all brands and package sizes may participate in all areas. No Purchase Necessary.

ok, so he "looked for a game piece..." and won. it doesn't matter who purchased it as it clearly states "No Purchase Necessary". if a purchase isn't necessary and the object of this "game" is to simply "look" for winning pieces than i consider this a game of life. he's a good player. she dropped the ball.