My perfect Macbook Air would be...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ideonode, Nov 28, 2008.

1. ideonode macrumors member

I *so* nearly bought a RevB MBA (SSD-flavoured). Alas, it didn't quite do it for me, so I went for a MB (2.4/4GB/128GBSSD). However, I would dearly love to spend cash I really shouldn't spend on an MBA. It'd have to have the following:

1. 256GB+ SSD
    2. 4GB RAM
    3. Grunt-power equivalent to a 2.4GHz Penryn (or i7?).
    4. Same price point (or better).

Now, when do you think this little beasty will surface? Am I looking at 2009 or 2010? Does anyone else have a wishlist of additional specs? And no, firewire doesn't count. :rolleyes:

2. omaragra macrumors member

I would just like to have a 2.0 processor and 4 gb ram ;)

3. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Could very well see a 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM & a 2.0GHz CPU by the end of 2009. I almost went and plopped down the cash for the Rev.B also, then thought of this, and this is ideally the MacBook Air I would want. So it looks like im going to purchase a 2.4 MacBook/4GB RAM/250GB HD today and wait it out for an Air til early 2010 or so....in which case it should be a skinny beast indeed....then again, Nehalem MacBooks will be coming out at that time too, and who knows if they will be releasing an even thinner form factor by then....*the wheels continue to turn*

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Meanwhile, those who truly needed the portability. (like me) bought a rev a and it has already payed for itself.

i7 air?

Not anytime soon.:rolleyes:

5. thechungster macrumors regular

Maybe 2 USB, and 1 FireWire. :)
    i7 LOL, keep dreaming.:rolleyes:
    I hope to see a 2.0GHz Processor, and maybe, just maybe a 256GB SSD

6. glitch44 macrumors 65816

the core i7 puts out 130 watts of heat. :eek:
    the current MBA processor puts out 17 watts.

7. thechungster macrumors regular

:eek: Maybe Apple should put a bigger fan on the air:rolleyes:

8. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Current Air + built in WWAN + the new trackpad (make it fit) + the new headphone jack that supports the iPhone headset + color options like the new Nanos!

Id buy another one then, and I just bought the SSD Rev B Air too. My Amex is crying already!

9. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I would really like a 256GB SSD, obviously a ways out, but it can be done for sure, its just a matter of the price falling enough. I've got a rev A 80GB just because 64GB wouldn't cut it for me, but this little guy has got plenty of power, however it would be nice if it could play 720p video a bit smoother, but thats what my desktop/PS3 is for anyways

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'd like it if it could cook me some toast.

Compared to the OP's demands, and the overheating problems with the 1st Gen units, I don't think my demands are really that far fetched to be honest...

11. stiphone macrumors regular

well, if you wait long enough, it'll just get better and better doesn't it? That's just electronics. Me, I'm just contented with what i can have right now and when something and better comes out later, I might just upgrade then if i deem it's worth it.

12. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

Toast and eggs while watching a movie that shudders, LOL

13. ITGuy macrumors regular

Great thread...

I switched to Mac this year and purchased the MacBook Air 1.8GHz SSD Model. I would definitely welcome:

1) 256 GB SSD.
    2) 4GB RAM.
    3) 2.0 GHz or greater CPU.
    4) 2 USB ports.
    5) Audio-in for a mic/headset.

I wonder if Apple would consider adding a second MacBook Air Model - such a 13" MacBook Pro without the Optical Drive. Probably not...wishful thinking.

14. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

Fun thread!

I definitely think Apple could put an iPhone-like "audio in/out" minijack on the Air. Would be cool. Not sure another USB port will fit though...

The processor could conceivably hit 2.16 in the MBA by mid-next year with the Intel SU9600 processor which is a 17W Processor (similar to the ones in the MBA now, I think?) - so that would be a fun upgrade.

Reference: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=596

That 2.16 with 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD would make a KILLER MBA - that thing would be a monster.

15. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I think you mean the SL9600. The SU9600 is the ultra low voltage version (10W TDP but smaller cache, slower frontside bus).

16. ideonode thread starter macrumors member

Ah - forgot a couple!

5. Screen res of 1400x900 (or thereabouts)
    6. Kensington Lock!

OF the things the others have mentioned, WWAN would be the one highest on my wishlist, though tethering + near-ubiquitous WLANs ought to make that a nice-to-have.

17. ryanhawiya macrumors member

ryanhawiya

I have the 1.8/SSD air and it is more than i expected. I have done everything including what people were saying overheated it badly which was hook to an external display running HD full screen, it did get hot.. but ran fine :D

18. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
    As it is specwise like now, add:

4 GB RAM

Nice to have:

256 GB SSD

Must have (seems to be lacking right now):

Premium display

19. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Just give it a firewire port(800 spec with 400 support). Another usb would be nice but I could always lug around a small hub. Oh I have heard the SQ of the Air and it left me wishing it was marginally better(compared to my MBP and even ibook).

20. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

Along with more power (2.0GHz) and RAM (4GB), stereo speakers and a megapixel-iSight camera would be a welcome addition.