My personal website- 2xdvisual.com

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dophineh, Feb 2, 2009.

1. dophineh, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

dophineh macrumors member

dophineh

Let me know what you think! Feedback and constructive criticism is always welcome!

http://www.3kandy.com

2. kingofkolt macrumors 6502

One thing I'd say right off the bat: I'm immediately turned off by any website that features background sound/music. It annoys the crap out of me.

Otherwise, the design is nice and artsy :) The work you put into it (and the portfolio pieces) really display your apparent love for being kind of way out there with your creativity.

Something bothers me about the fact that you have your main website in a box in the center, and then your background has stripes above and below the box. I think it's a lack of unity: the foreground is grungy/artsy, and the background is more straight-edged. It's like the background and the foreground are two different directions in which you could take your website's design, but not simultaneously.

That's just me, though, and someone else may feel differently. And I was just pointing out the things that bother me; overall, though, it's a very nice design. The website is certainly pleasing to look at. Good job!

3. dophineh thread starter macrumors member

dophineh

Thanks for the feedback, especially from a fellow Bostonian!

The music is a little lame, I agree. It is kind of meant to be a clash of styles. The upper and lower bar show that it is a full screen website, perhaps it doesn't look as weird on smaller resolutions? You are probably using a large screen resolution?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Ok from just a little further north in Southern New Hampshire (;)) I don't care for a site that has automatically playing music/sound either, and did not even see the little "mute sound" text in the top left the first two times I loaded it since the flash leads the eye to the center of the screen. Perhaps putting that text down in the lower corner in the menu items section would be helpful to those who do not care for the sound. Before I saw the "mute" I was just glad that it turned off and did not restart after I visited the "Burntout Productions" selection!! Now don't get me started on that low frequency sound that plays when you click on another menu item- which plays even if one has pressed "mute sound".;)

Now this may well just be a personal thing, but I am not really fond of the generic grey "little squares" placemarkers in place of thumbnails, at least with no option to view as a slideshow if desired. In a purely static display on any site showing a gallery, I would not be likely to click every little square to see if there are any pics of interest- but would happily click whatever thumbnails I might like to explore at a larger size.

On a more positive note though, I have to applaud the fact that it does show (to me anyway!) an appealing overall design - simple, clean and unusual- something far more sites should strive to achieve.

5. dophineh thread starter macrumors member

dophineh

Okay, I hear you loud and clear.

Get rid of the music and sound... I agree. It's gettin da boot.

As far as the slide show idea goes... I love it. I'm going to implement something along those lines. Thanks for the idea.

I'll let you know when I update it.

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Extremely well designed, gorgeous web site that shows alot of work went into it and careful thought. Excellent work, here are a few minor suggestions:

1) Provide an HTML alternative for non Flash users
    2) In the profile page, use a little more color to make the text stand out - maybe just a little darker font due to the background image
    3) In the photography section, just like sickmacdoc commented, I recognize your artistic choice in using the grey boxes on the right to pick photos and let the viewer be pleasantly surprised. But - it's freakin' annoying as hell not to be able to see a thumbnail, so I'm not so pleasant about being surprised. I am not asking you to replace them with thumbs, but it would be cool (and practical) if you at least had each box expand to a small thumb in full color on a mouse over, and reduce back to the gray box when moused out -- as a compromise to your artistic integrity.
    4) As to the music, the ONLY issue is forcing it on users - so simply put a nice equalizer graphic on the top right or whatever and allow the user the choice. The main reasons never to enable by default is users may be listening to something else, you're forcing your taste in music on someone else and likely to offend them and they of your site, not everyone can hear so it's rude in terms of accessibility, and of course bandwidth concerns.

Other than those 4 things, it's refreshing to see a theme like that and you maximized the potential, no doubt.

-jim

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

What a good idea! That really strikes a workable balance that keeps the simplicity as well as adding a touch more usability! Kudos for that.

8. Blake: macrumors newbie

Proofread

I was reading through your website and I notice a few things you might want to change with spacing that might be due to <em> or empty spaces or a full alignment. I am referencing your homepage under studio news on the right panel. Let me know if you need anymore clarification. Great site. I wish I new how you stretched you background image/pattern the full width.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, as you are responding to a two + year old thread, I doubt the OP is still awaiting comments. ;)

Don't fret though, it's a common trap. :D