my phone has a light leak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jun 8, 2009.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

now that i know for a fact that i am not going to be getting the new iphone, because its a waste for me. I wanna get my iphone 3g exchanged, because of a light leak that i had for a while. im just scared of the chances of getting another with that or even worse pixels. My question is... how should i go about complaining about it? shoudl i just mention the light leak. should i say it sometimes freezes?

do they still have ones in stock?

2. Dmich116 macrumors member

I doubt you will get one with problems after the exchange

and yes do tell the apple store that you have problems with the iphone

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I just hope cause it's not a huge light leak that they will still do it

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I've come to realize that lately you're much better off calling AppleCare and having them put a note in your file to replace your phone. The Genius' always want to argue that light leaks are within spec.

As far as getting one with a worse leak, it's happened to me and lots of other people... You should make sure it's worth it before you exchange it.

5. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

What else can I say. Also is there a apple live chat on the site

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

how would a note help though. its not like in the note they can say. exchange for light leak, because im sure the genius will still look at it and say this is minimal. what authority do they have above the other.

7. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Can someone explain to me why there is this overwhelming desire to exchange iPhones for this so-called "light leak"?

I'm not trying to be annoying -- I really don't understand the problem.

9. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

10. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

I've never understood why the genius' care, they don't get charged for exchanging out our phones...

11. kinkster macrumors 6502a

if you have the 16gb you might wanna wait and then they'd have to upgrade you to the 3gs since that's the only 16gbs they'd have?

12. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Should I call so they can make a note on the account or that makes no sense since they can look and see it's not to bad. Also do u tho m I'll get an iPhone that's even worse by exchanging? And the one they give me is it new or what?

13. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

i don't wanna get stuck with something worse. apple will still have the 3g iphones there in stores for replacements right? they would only get rid of them after everyones 2 yr warranty's are up, because by then no one would qualify for a exchange. My question is how should i go about doing this?

go into stores or make an appointment online. i don't wanna have struggle with this. I mean worst comes to worst i can see the phone when he gives it to me and see if its messed up.

wasn't there an iphone website to check that lets you look for negative screens and dead pixels. what was it?

sorry for so many questions!

14. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I thought about this since my 16gb is having issues but I highly doubt they wont just have some stock in the back for replacements and to prevent this kind of thing. I'm not sure if i want to enter the refurb cycle.

15. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

No this will not happen. If that was true no one would have a first gen iPhone. If it was like the way your saying it, first gen iPhone users would just go in and get a 3G, NOT going to happen.

When you go get a new phone at the genius bar, you may get a refurbished one, OR you'll get a new one. Its just about luck.

16. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

i decided to keep my iphone, because the light leak is so sooo so tiny and its not worth getting a refurb that can have more problems!

17. Sebby macrumors 6502a

My refurbished replacement has a light leak because the screen does not appear to be aligned correctly. It's quite annoying.

18. adampol15 macrumors member

adampol15

They won't replace a 3G with a 3G S...they have a lot of refurbished 3Gs to replace your current one if it's an Apple defect.

19. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

i decided to keep it! i don't think the light leak i have is bad. its soooo sooo tiny. and i rather not get a refurb with more problems.