Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
After the update, my phone apparently cannot find my location. The last time I tried to find myself (about 10 seconds ago - on full bars of 3G), it placed me about 30 miles away from my actual location (although it never pin pointed my location to an actual dot, it just made a very small target circle). I don't want to think this is due to the 2.1 update, but has anyone else noticed the phone is less able to find you post update?

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
After the update, my phone apparently cannot find my location. The last time I tried to find myself (about 10 seconds ago - on full bars of 3G), it placed me about 30 miles away from my actual location (although it never pin pointed my location to an actual dot, it just made a very small target circle). I don't want to think this is due to the 2.1 update, but has anyone else noticed the phone is less able to find you post update?

Yep. It works off and on for me.

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
NC

After the update I think that you to manually go to your Settings>General> Location Services...and manually turn it on. It turned on automatically before the update....

pintnight

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2008
I just checked and Apple did broke the location. It's saying I'm about 10-15 miles south of where I'm currently at (at home).

pintnight

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2008
After the update I think that you to manually go to your Settings>General> Location Services...and manually turn it on. It turned on automatically before the update....
Location services was already turned on and it's still showing me the wrong location. I even turned it off and back on. Still wrong location.

pintnight

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2008
I just checked and Apple did broke the location. It's saying I'm about 10-15 miles south of where I'm currently at (at home).
Location services was already turned on and it's still showing me the wrong location. I even turned it off and back on. Still wrong location.
Nevermind. I got "My Location" working again. I turned it off, went to google maps. It prompt me that the location services is off with the Settings and Ok button. I tapped Settings, turned location services back on. Went back to maps and did a "Locate Me" and now I'm showing up correctly.

milani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I managed to get mine to work as well. It wasn't anything to do with my settings. I think my phone was getting interference from my computer or router. I took my phone outside and tried to find my location again, and once I was outside the phone found me right away. It's never happened before, so I don't know what was going on the last few times, but I don't think it has anything to do with the 2.1 update.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I managed to get mine to work as well. It wasn't anything to do with my settings. I think my phone was getting interference from my computer or router. I took my phone outside and tried to find my location again, and once I was outside the phone found me right away. It's never happened before, so I don't know what was going on the last few times, but I don't think it has anything to do with the 2.1 update.

I "fixed" mine the same way. The location services has never worked worth a crud in my house. Wasn't getting it to work at all after 2.1 until I went outside....in the rain with a baggie over my phone.....and farted with it a little.

Steve

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
There is a reason for the "indoors" problem! GPS works by triangulating your signal with a number of satellites - ie. the best results require good line of sight to the satellites in the sky! If you're inside, you either won't lock onto the satellites at all, or you might suffer from 'reflections' - ie. signals partially bouncing off of windows and other hard surfaces before it reaches your device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.