My phone just died: what should I do before iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Aug 30, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

My iPhone 3g just died(error 23) and Apple genius said that they could sell me a iphone 3g replacement for $200 or a 2-year contract iphone 4 for $200 because it was more than a year after the warranty expired on my iphone 3g.

The genius gave the option of a $650 unlocked 4. (my contract expired in 2008. i have unlimited plan.)

And what did the genius mean by "more than a year off the warranty". Does apple sometimes replace phones if the warranty is expired for less than a year?

I wanted to get the 2-year contract upgrade with the iphone 4 but that means I will not be eligible for iphone 5 for 1-2 years.

I know the 5 is coming out soon but using my company issued blackberry is a lesson in patience. I also do not want to make personal calls on the company blackberry curve.

What would you do? I know the iphone 5/4gs is around the corner. Maybe waiting is the best option. Helppppp!

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

buy a cheap phone in the interim to make your personal calls. anything, like this one. just do not buy an iphone 4 on contract now.

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for replying. Can I just switch the SIM to that other phone or do I have deal with ATT switching over the account?

Thanks.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

5. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

As much as you might hate this answer, wait. The iPhone 5 is almost literally just around the corner. If you absolutely must have an iPhone in the period of time you will be waiting, I'm sure there are a few 3g's and 3gs's on craigslist for around $100-150 in which you could simply transfer your sim card over.

6. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

7. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Get a cheap crappy one until the iPhone 5 comes.

8. tomtom101 macrumors regular

Haha... I'm in the exact same position as you mate! broke the 3G there last week and im back to using a nokia C1 - iPhone 5 better be worth the torture of using this phone!!

9. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

buy a 3G on craigslist for $100, sell it back on craigslist for $100 when you get the iPhone 5

10. sjn419 macrumors regular

I dropped my iphone 4 yesterday and the front glass shattered from the corner. I just taped it up as best I could, not worth the 200 repair imo. Just gonna wait it out.

11. wtmk81 macrumors member

I thought it was a $30 repair. Maybe that's the back only.

12. sbddude macrumors 6502a

+1 for cowboom. You can pick up a cheap android or smartphone there and resell it when iphone 5 comes.

If you have unlimited data, and want to keep it, I recommend getting a smartphone that will let you keep it.

13. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

buy an iphone 3g from ebay that has a 30 day money back policy normally business have that.... return it before the 30 days are up.........by then the iphone 5 should be out

14. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Should be no problem at all.

15. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I feel your pain. In May, I sold my iPhone 4 thinking the iPhone 5 was imminent and I had my iPhone 2g (4years old, but still working). Well, after a coupe of months on it plus having experienced the iPhone 4, my 1st gen is a pain; it's very slow (2g-it was slow back then-the wifi saved it), the camera sucks, no retina display, the battery still holds a decent charge but nowhere near the iPhone 4, etc...

If I didn't have the 2g, I would get a real cheap phone to use. I wouldn't pay $100-$200 for either a 3g or 3gs.

Plus there have been so many speculations on the iPhone 5's release date that have not come true that it gets frustrating. It would be easy to just reup with another Iphone 4. However, if I did that, I know that the iPhone 5 will be a lot better. For me, I really want a larger screen (I know some don't).

So, I will wait. We'll see...

16. fastfinger macrumors member

I picked up one of those no contract pay as you go phones from Radio Shack fro $49. Works great

17. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Yep, I was about to mention that. We sell one for $9.99. On sale this week.

18. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yeah, look on eBay for a cheap azz phone or get a Go Phone in the meantime. I have a Samsung Strive I picked up for $10 specifically in case something like this happens to my iPhone.

19. cinek macrumors 6502

get the cheapest phone you can find and use it untill iphone 5 comes out

20. iPad2Addict macrumors newbie

I recommend the goPhones that they have at Target that are super cheap and don't require a 2 year contract. They aren't the best phones in the world, but it will probably hold you over for the next month or so until the iphone 5 comes out. :)