Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myphonesdead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
totally screwed up...i have a used iphone 4 which was active and jailbroken by its original owner. decided to erase and reset everything and try to jailbreak again without first checking WHICH iOS i was already running! so i went forward blindly and tried to jailbreak with 4.2.1 using every version of redsn0w. now the phones stuck in a dfu/recovery loop. broke it out of the loop with tinyumbrella, but it just goes back into recovery and when its in recovery it doesn't indicate that a sims missing, and it doesnt read capacity, software version, or serial on itunes. is my phone finish?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
totally screwed up...i have a used iphone 4 which was active and jailbroken by its original owner. decided to erase and reset everything and try to jailbreak again without first checking WHICH iOS i was already running! so i went forward blindly and tried to jailbreak with 4.2.1 using every version of redsn0w. now the phones stuck in a dfu/recovery loop. broke it out of the loop with tinyumbrella, but it just goes back into recovery and when its in recovery it doesn't indicate that a sims missing, and it doesnt read capacity, software version, or serial on itunes. is my phone finish?

Nope. Just restore again through iTunes. Keep in mind that the jailbreak for 4.2.1 on the iPhone is tethered.

myphonesdead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
i tried to do a regular restore through itunes, but it gets stuck around 80% when it's verifiying firmware. maybe i'm restoring the wrong ios version? is there anyway to find out what ios is currently on the phone while its stuck in dfu/recovery mode?

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
i tried to do a regular restore through itunes, but it gets stuck around 80% when it's verifiying firmware. maybe i'm restoring the wrong ios version? is there anyway to find out what ios is currently on the phone while its stuck in dfu/recovery mode?

What error message is itunes giving you?

myphonesdead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
No I don't think I have wifi sync installed. Usually ill get the 1304 error but it varies.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
On Windows

1.) run "note pad" as an adminstrator....

2.) then open: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (all files not *.txt)
open the file named "hosts"

3.) if you have a line at the end that looks like this "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" delete it, SAVE and then restore the iphone again.

myphonesdead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
I did that and the same problem comes up. The same set of errors appear, i'll see the apple logo, it'll shut down and go right back into recovery mode. What's weird is that when it's in recovery mode i won't have a sim in there and it won't ask me to put a sim in the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.