My Photo Stream disappears when iCloud Photo Library is ON

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by myname70, Oct 28, 2014.

1. myname70, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

myname70 macrumors 6502a

Guys, is it the normal way - the My Photo Stream folders disappeared when put iCloud Photo Library ON?

p.s. The same with Camera Roll - it disappears as well

2. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I believe this is normal although I have not turned on icloud photo yet I have around 30k in photos.

Icloud photo takes the place of the normal, you don't need both.

3. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

...don't think it should disappear?

I have iCloud Photo Library turned on and have actually turned off the 'Upload to my Photostream' option but I STILL have the shared folders availabe (where you create a photo stream and invite other people to join it so they can view your photos).

The 'My Photo Stream' folder should still show (if you have not disabled the option) however, you don't need it as iCloud Photo Library does the same thing.

4. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you have the My Photo Stream folder on the phone ? I have it on my Mac under shared folders, but not on my phone. And please confirm you still have Camera Roll folder on the phone as well. Since my photo stream is the same as the iCloud library and it is logically to disappear, why camera roll should disappears as wel...

5. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Ok to confirm,

1. I don't have the 'My Photo Stream' folder anymore because I turned the option to 'Upload to Photostream' option OFF.

2. I do, however, have a folder called 'Dino's Shared Photo Stream' which is the photos that I share with my designated users, using Photo Stream

3. The 'Camera Roll' folder is STILL there, however, in iOS8.1, it is now called 'All Photos' and NOT 'Camera Roll'

4. You are correct - the 'My Photo Stream' folder and iCloud Photo Library is basically the same thing so you don't need both - turn Photo Stream off!

6. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to correct you - in iOs 8.1 the camera Roll is back and it is there. But you should disable iCloud Photo library (beta) . If OFF - you will see the Cmera Roll. Obviously Apple are trying to switch to the new, common Photos app in Yosemite next year and are keeping both options - confusing us. Maybe I will keep My Photo Stream - because it will not eat my iCloud drive space, but anyway, I will download them to the iMac.. (no big sense for me to have web-based access to my photos on the iCloud photo library). The best option is to keep both - Library and Photo stream - and to chose what pictures to be sent to iCloud Photo library and what to the stream.. Re the shared folders - this is a third option, and it works independently from the iCloud library and photo stream... simply I can share some pictures to the shared folder (either to the Family sharing option, or to dedicated non-family friends)

7. iAll macrumors member

Photo stream

My wife and I took a few pics yesterday on my ip6+, so today I figured I'd turn on the wireless at home on my phone and using photo stream place them in my iphoto on my iMac, which I've done a hundred times. I could not get them to show up in photo stream no matter what i tried. I decided to take a wasted pic of my keyboard and within 30 seconds it showed up in my photo stream on my iMac. WTF?? This is the funkiest set-up for images. Help please, what is going on?