Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Hi, I just updated to IOS5 and all my photo's and video's are gone.

I can still see the last picture I took in my camera app (bottom left corner), but when opening that it's still empty.
iTunes tells me that I have about 2 GB of ''other'' data on my phone, which is about the size of my photo album.

They're physically still on my phone, I just can't see em. Nor can iPhoto.

Restoring from a backup doesn't work sadly.

Anyone else who has this problem? Or suggestions?

fbates

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
Sadly, I have the same issue, among others. I wish I'd waited to upgrade the iOS.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
The number of threads on here about people losing data after updating... :rolleyes:

Always do a full backup and ensure the backup works before updating- as for photos, did you not sync them with iPhoto (or Windows equivalent) before updating?

So many people (and I'm not making any assumptions about the OP) sadly rush headlong into an update, giddy with excitement about new features etc and don't take precautions in case it goes tits up. :cool:

On a more constructive note, have you tried viewing the phone in something like iPhone Explorer? If the backup is truly useless, there's a chance you could extract the photos from the phone that way.

nebulight

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
I'm in the same boat. I don't think we rushed into anything. We did a backup before we did the upgrade. When the phone booted up, I chose to restore from backup that I just did before updating. I don't' really understand but I also lost all my folders/settings as well. With 163 apps, it's a pain in the ass to organize again but I'm willing to do that. However the photos are gone.

wope

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I see I'm not the only one who lost everything after updating. Just like you all, I backed up prior to updating. After updating, once I realized everything was wiped, I tried to restore, but the backup I made, as well as the one created before updating were not there. So, I restored to the most recent backup it listed from a few weeks ago, even AFTER that, none of my apps/settings/photos/etc were there. I can't believe Apple has had such a disastrous release for iOS5.

JsR

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Newcastle
I did a full back up then did the upgrade, iTunes froze on 'Waiting To Copy Media' for around 2 hours, I unplugged, then did it again, restored and selected the back up I just did, however it didn't restore to that, it did it from August :confused: All my texts/emails/call log were from August :mad:

iRossiBrazil

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Lost pictures on iPhone

I have also lost pictures that were in the iPhone, and I've been looking for a solution for days.

One thing that may help you, but did not help me, is to browse through iPhone files using iBrowser or a similar.

First of all, you gonna need to jailbrake the iPhone, this how I did it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iarrxG6FSkY

This procedure will install Cydia app on your iPhone, then you will download iBrowser using Cydia.

Now, you need to have your iPhone on the same wifi network as the computer that you're using. Once you click on the button on iBrowser, it will let you access the folders in iPhone using a regular browser on your computer. iBrowser will tell you the address you need to type in the browser.

Your photos might be in the /User/Media/DCIM/100APPLE folder. Good luck.

Kashika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
My photo's are saved to iPhoto. That's not the problem.
They're stored on my phone as ''other'' data. I can see certain photo's by selecting a contact in whatsapp and then browsing the photo's that person sent to me. Or that might be a native thing in whatsapp, but nontheless the data is on my iPhone. I just can't see it.

And no, jailbreaking is not something I want to do :p

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
I'm having the same problem. After updating, all the photos/videos on my camera roll are now gone.

Does anyone know how to get them back? those pictures are very meaningful to me.

On a side note, I'll keep searching for a solution.

Kashika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
It's weird. There is no solution to this.

I've searched this issue extensively and found nothing.

kipnosky

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Happened to me too but they were somehow restored the next day. Not sure if it has something to do with automated sync during charging :eek:

Cascadians

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2009
Kept getting Error -5000 while trying to upgrade. Backed up automatically and manually. Back-Up took a long time -- hours. And then the upgrade DELETED ALL BACKUPS.

NOT acceptable. Everything is gone. Starting from scratch with a "new" phone (3GS).

Kashika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Found a fix!

Hey guys, i found a solution for our problem, at least it worked for me.

1- Download Iphone Explorer (does not need to be a jailbroken device) http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

2.) connect your iphone using the usb cable
3.) launch iphone explorer
4.) backup and then delete the following files:
/Media/PhotoData/MISC/Info.plist
/Media/PhotoData/Photos.sqlite (or /PhotoData/Photos.sqlite)
/Media/PhotoData/PhotosAux.sqlite (or /PhotoData/PhotosAux.sqlite)
5.) reboot your iphone

After you reboot your device, windows will prompt if you wan to open your iphone on windows explorer as usual. After you open it, your photos are going to be there, just like it was before update.

Resource: http://blog.mbentley.net/2010/06/iphone-ios-4-upgrade-restore-lost-pictures-in-c amera-roll/

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Found a fix!

Hey guys, i found a solution for our problem, at least it worked for me.

1- Download Iphone Explorer (does not need to be a jailbroken device) http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

2.) connect your iphone using the usb cable
3.) launch iphone explorer
4.) backup and then delete the following files:
/Media/PhotoData/MISC/Info.plist
/Media/PhotoData/Photos.sqlite (or /PhotoData/Photos.sqlite)
/Media/PhotoData/PhotosAux.sqlite (or /PhotoData/PhotosAux.sqlite)
5.) reboot your iphone

After you reboot your device, windows will prompt if you wan to open your iphone on windows explorer as usual. After you open it, your photos are going to be there, just like it was before update.

Resource: http://blog.mbentley.net/2010/06/iphone-ios-4-upgrade-restore-lost-pictures-in-c amera-roll/

Did this work for anyone here? Did not work for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.