My photos from the Brick Works in Toronto.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cutsman, Jan 13, 2008.

1. cutsman macrumors regular

I visited the Brick Works yesterday. I've been hearing so much about how great it is for photography and to be honest, it's awesome there. If you're ever in Toronto, you should definitely spend a few hours there with your camera... bring a tripod though because it's very dark inside. I also hear that come this spring, they are going to start renovations to make it a tourist area... which is VERY unfortunate!

Here are a few of the shots I took (more on my zenfolio page)... it's really amazing there and I don't think my shots really do the Brick Works any justice... but here they are. Any comments, criticism or tips for improvement would be awesome! Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Your first few interior shots are outstanding. :)

I'm from Toronto as well, but I'm not in the area right now to shoot there. Where are the Brick Works?

3. MT37 macrumors regular

MT37

I'm very curious to know where this is. I need a good location to do a photoshoot, and that place is perfect!

4. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

The Brick Works is located just north of the Don Valley Parkway and Bayview Ave. If you're on the DVP, take the Bayview exit ... it's pretty much right there.

http://local.google.ca/local?f=q&hl=en&q=544+bayview+ave,+toronto&ll=43.683977,-79.364612&spn=0.03898,0.108147

Keep in mind that, in theory, entry into the buildings is prohibited due to safety issues so do exercise some caution when you're there. With that said, many people do still go to the brick works. I would also recommend going with at least one other person... You'll love it there..

5. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

My first ever pano!

Here is my very first attempt at a panorama. A total of 10 frames (at f/9, 20sec, iso 200) were stitched together to form the photo below. Let me know what you guys think or what I can do to improve.

[​IMG]

6. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Your photos are fantastic (especially the Panoramic one)!

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Not much snow in Toronto?

As an industrial archaeologist, I find any abandoned industrial site fascinating, and wish I could produce pictures like these. Nice work! If only more people appreciated sites like this rather than abusing them...

8. Edge100 macrumors 68000

It all melted in last week's heat wave (14C in January!!!)

To the OP: nice shots. I'm going to have to check this place out!

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I bike around the brick works on occasion but I was never curious (brave?) enough to venture inside... the photos are great! Did you get any exterior shots? The rise on the north and east sides offer great vantage points... not sure how it would look right now though, but I really like the view in mid to late spring.

Nope, after New Year's it warmed up and the snow is gone... it's killing the skiing around here. :(

10. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

I did take some exterior shots, but I didn't like the way they turned out. The dull sky (saturday was overcast) didn't do anything for the photos. I'll definitely take your suggestion of walking up the hill and taking a few shots on a nice day. I hear come spring, they will be renovating the brick works and turning it into some huge tourist area... now is the time to go take some photos.

And don't get me started about the lack of snow now.. i have yet to go boarding once this season. :(

11. MT37 macrumors regular

MT37

Awesome, thanks!