Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarah36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2022
my pinned safari tabs are gray and have no icon so I can't see what I've pinned. How do I get my pinned icons back?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
What macOS version are you on and when did this change? Did it change after you installed a Safari extension, made a Safari settings change, updated the OS, or installed another app?

sarah36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2022
Mac OS big sur. My son just bought the Mac from someone so we know nothing about it. Can't answer your other questions.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Mac OS big sur. My son just bought the Mac from someone so we know nothing about it. Can't answer your other questions.
OK I understand it's a new machine for you. What happens if you unpin a tab and then repin it?

sarah36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2022
it does the same thing. when unpinned we see the name of the site but at soon as you pin it the tab goes dry and you can pin multiple tabs and its all the same. We have tried pinning and unpinning, sliding it open and closed, closing it completely and opening, going to the window tab and pinning...it just does the same thing...gray pinned tabs with no icon.

sarah36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2022
sorry... tabs go GRAY...not "dry"...not sure where that came from. lol

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I want to suggest you try removing all website data, but want you to know that it will log you out of some sites (including Macrumors). So you'd want to make sure your Safari login user names and passwords were all correct in the Safari preferences before you do that. (Safari > Preferences > Passwords).

When you're ready to remove some or all website data, go to Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and website data > tap on the Manage Website Data button. As a test you could remove a couple of the sites you know you have pinned tabs for to see if that makes a difference. To do that, select the site and tap the Remove button. You might need to repin those sites as well.

You can remove all of the sites too by using the Remove All button. I do this once a month or so to keep things cleaned up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.