Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jantoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
Italy
Hi. Some years ago I got a Pismo 400 from a friend that worked in a used computer warehouse: he told me he didn't have time to check it properly, but at least it was booting and working. I just installed OS X Panther and everything was going fine, when suddenly I heard an awful noise from the speakers: I turned it off immediately, but after that I was unable to get it to work again. Once in a while it chimes, the HD starts, then there's a beep sequence (I guess it means he can't find any RAM) but most of the times it just emits a feeble "pop" through the speakers, the HD doesn't start and the processor begins to get very hot. I cleaned and thoroughly checked the processor and logic board sockets - I read that's often the culprit of such issues - and they seem in good shape, but I can't get it started. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Sounds like a short somewhere. The DC board and the PRAM battery are the biggest sources of woe on the Pismo but it looks like you have checked both already.

jantoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
Italy
You're right, maybe some cap was nearly shorted and now it's gone.
I removed the PRAM battery, it was dead anyway.
To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the DC board yet... I'll do. Thanks!

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You're right, maybe some cap was nearly shorted and now it's gone.
I removed the PRAM battery, it was dead anyway.
To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the DC board yet... I'll do. Thanks!

The power socket is only soldered to the DC board. The solder joints around that and the sound ports often crack and the ports work themselves loose.

jantoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
Italy
Ah, you mean "that" board. I thought you were talking about the one located between the battery and CD/DVD docks: I guess it controls battery charge and other functions (the mouse button is there too). On my old Lombard 333 it blew out... IC burned :(

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Ah, you mean "that" board. I thought you were talking about the one located between the battery and CD/DVD docks: I guess it controls battery charge and other functions (the mouse button is there too). On my old Lombard 333 it blew out... IC burned :(

I would definitely check out that one, too. There are a few caps on that board that bear examination.

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
The power socket is only soldered to the DC board. The solder joints around that and the sound ports often crack and the ports work themselves loose.

Yep. My "original" Pismo (which we bought by trading in our PB 5300 when Apple was offering an incentive) suffered that fate. I found it was easier and almost cheaper to buy a new mostly working Pismo (at least working "guts" even if the battery and optical drive were busted) and transfer my upgraded RAM, CPU and hard drive than it was to replace the DC board (plus now I have a whole Pismo for parts if need be).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.