Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Best hometown ever.

I've been to Hell, Grand Cayman ... but never ****ing, Austria.

We had a vote last year on whether to rename the town, but decided to keep it as it is. After all, ****ing has existed for 800 years, probably when a Mr **** or the **** family moved into the area. The 'ing' was added as a word for settlement.[4]

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
What's the problem with using this location name if it is legit? Is there something inherently wrong with 'that' word? I can see not letting the use of swear words to get out of hand, but this is the guy's home town for christ's sake.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
What's the problem with using this location name if it is legit? Is there something inherently wrong with 'that' word? I can see not letting the use of swear words to get out of hand, but this is the guy's home town for christ's sake.
Seriously? It's automatically censored using vBulletin software, which unfortunately lacks the intelligence to determine when words of this nature are being properly used.

messedkid

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Oshawa, ON
When I saw Austria, I figured...HEY thats not to far away, I should check it out (and pick up a nice street sign while I'm at it ;) ).

It's still 700 kms away. To far for my wee legs. :(

But seriously, 104 residents and at least one of them is a macrumors member. Thats delicious!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
It probably all started when someone wanted to go to Australia as it was summer down there and winter up in the northern hemisphere, ended up in Austria, and stated they they didn't want to go to "f***ing Austria as they were sick of the winter".

Given the town is 800 years old and Europeans have only been visiting Australia for around 600 or so and named it much more recently, we can assume there were some very poor navigators back then :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It probably all started when someone wanted to go to Australia as it was summer down there and winter up in the northern hemisphere, ended up in Austria, and stated they they didn't want to go to "f***ing Austria as they were sick of the winter".

Given the town is 800 years old and Europeans have only been visiting Australia for around 600 or so and named it much more recently, we can assume there were some very poor navigators back then :)

Hah!

There was a family recently who booked a flight and holiday package to Sydney and ended up in Sydney, Nova Scotia... true story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.