My Plan

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wawanarchist, Jan 14, 2009.

1. wawanarchist macrumors regular

Okay, so I came up with this plan to upgrade without spending a lot of money when the new iMacs come out, let me know what you guys think:

I bought my iMac in Delaware, so there was no tax, and I had a student rebate. For $1,949 I got a 24" 2.8ghz iMac, 3 years of apple care, and a $139 printer.

-$100 printer rebate

=1,849

-$75 Selling printer

=$1,774

So I figure that if I see some concrete... Let me rephrase that, CONCRETE evidence that there will be a new iMac on a specific date, I will sell my iMac as being 'perfect condition' (it is, still has stickers on the back) for $1,800 with the apple care and loaded with programs... Then I can buy the new iMac for $1,699 after student rebate (I'll use my brothers rebate)

Practical, Stupid, What do you think?

Oh, and I will only do this if the upgrade warrants it, I won't go through all this trouble for a slight bump... And this thread is NOT meant to speculate about the upgrade, what will be included, or when it will come out, just what you think about my plan

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The processors will be a little faster, the GPU will be a little better, 2GB RAM standard, maybe a larger HDD standard, SSD option.

That's it.

3. wawanarchist thread starter macrumors regular

Its the graphics im interested in, because the 2600 is a tad bit lack luster in my opinion

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If I were in your shoes, here is how I would rationalize your plan before proceeding:

1. I don't know that I can count on $1800 for your current-gen iMac when the next-gen iMacs become available. Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

2. Suppose I buy the next iMac for $1699. Will it even be as good a computer as the one I sold (which cost more both on the primary AND secondary market, according to your plan)? And without Applecare?

3. Combine 1. and 2. above ==> why would someone pay $1800 for my previous generation iMac if they could buy a current one for $100 less?

4. Sounds like an awful lot of trouble and speculation. Much easier to just buy what I want and use it.

Like I said, that's how my mind would play it out. Good luck if you follow through with it.