My Poor Feelings on Jailbreaking my IP4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Abarth1200, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

Hello all, can I just say that this is a great forum with a wealth of knowledgable members who really know their stuff.

I have had the iphone 4 since its luanch and it is my first iphone, after owning several Sony Ericssons and modding them I thought I would give the iphone a go.

Well I hate asking questions like how do I jb my iphone because there is no doubt it has already been asked so I searched the forum for a few weeks until I was happy about going ahead and jb.

Now after about 6 hours I am back to restoring my iphone from its last back up from December 2010.

I followed this guide to the tee

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12948

And it crashed the first time saying redsn0w has encountered and error so I started again.

Got it to work eventually after it telling me Im not performing the DFU correctly and it deciding to go ahead and continue for me. I control my computer not it.

So got it up and running booted it back up using redsn0w and opened cydia, ok fair enough it needs essentila updates so I update cydia and have to tether to boot using redsn0w again.

Right let the fun begin oo whats this app ill give it a go and install it, REBOOT DEVICE ok so I did and turns out you do have to boot through redsn0w everytime you install a new app!!!!!!

******* this. seriuosly

I was trying to motivate myself to get the ball rolling and explore this big new world of jailbreaking but this is just grating on me and totally demotivating forcing me to give up.

IS there anyone who can have a one to one chat about how to go about this properly so I can learn instead of getting p**** off. With the thouasnds of websites, devs, forums and memebers there has to be an easier more enjoyable way of exploiting the iphone to its full potential, just point me in the right direction.

Seriuos replies please and thank you for your interest

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You have to turn on the iPhone every time you reboot because the new jailbreak on 4.2.1 for the iPhone 4 is tethered.

Tethered meaning every time the iPhone reboots or you turn it off/on you need to run the jailbreak software.

3. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

If you followed it to the tee, how did you miss the third and fourth sentences of the guide?

"You will only be able to perform a tethered jailbreak at this time. This means you will need Redsn0w's assistance to boot into your jailbroken device."

Also the last sentence of the guide which was set off in boldface type for you...

"IMPORTANT:
    To use Redsn0w to help you boot back into your jailbroken device simply select Just boot tethered right now from the options window and click Next."

iClarified is as good a website as any, you just didnt read...

OP, if you can, downgrade back to 4.1 or dont use the 4.2.1 tethered JB. There is an untethered JB out there but it requires SHSHs for 4.2b3, which you likely dont have.

4. Jestered macrumors 6502

You don't have to reboot/JB the phone every time you install a new app. You only have to do that if the thing you installed needs a reboot in order to load, which is usually anything that hacks or modifies the iOS. This is a little time consuming when you're first setting up a JB and tethered device, but once finished with the initial installs, you usually won't have to reboot when installing most software.

5. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

I was fully aware of the fact that it was a tethered jb and that I would need to connect and boot using redsn0w but was not expecting my apps to insist on a reboot after every install. I assumed tethered jb meant once its jb thats it until my phone dies, not after an app want me to reboot ( I kinda knew what was coming next next when it asked me to reboot)

And it is easy enough to boot using redsn0w but its just a bit tedious, I knew the drill.

I dont think I can see myself downgrading anything at this point in time.

So im stuck using redsn0w and using the tethered boot everytime I install the odd app or no jb. Is Redsn0w the only current working JB and 4.2.1.

Also while im at do I have to do the first steps in the guide asking me to restore using the downloaded ipsw or can I just use that to verify redsn0w and keep my iphone with all my apps and contacts as is?

Thank you all for your input and intrest

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you don't like the jailbreak well it's not for everybody. I still on 4.1 because I don't want a tethered jb and risk losing access to my phone. if I had to be on a tethered jb I probably wouldn't. so if you don't like your jb restore as new and enjoy Apple Restrictions. :eek:

7. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

OK can I just state now that im not giving up jailbreaking my phone, I would be here asking if I had given up, im just a bit miffed as to why things like this arent easier and failproof given the amount of people and information.

I would rather a jb iphone so that I can make my own instead of sticking with Apples slightly outdated look and feel

8. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, if you cant downgrade or you dont have 4.2b3 SHSH blobs, you're stuck with tethered jailbreak.

Dont get me wrong. jailbreaking is great and it really does open up a whole new world of possibilities for your phone. You just came into the scene at the wrong time.

You can stay tethered or you can either undo the jailbreak now and wait for an untether 4.2 jailbreak (which should be coming real real soon).

In any case, welcome to the scene.

9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Just be patient my friend. As stated before, the untethered jailbreak will be out one of these days and then don't jump the gun when the new firmware is released. This really is the best policy for a happy jailbroken phone.

10. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok i was going to give it another go this morning but looks like id be better holding off until the untethered jb is out.

Thanks for your support,

Any good blogs/links i can follow to keep me in the loop or is this forum as good as any

11. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

OK I just gave it another go and it froze after cydia asked me to reboot the device, it got stuck in a loop showing the apple logo.

I have put it in recovery mode and I am now reinstalling for the 2nd time.

I dont know what im doing, as far as I can see nothing, the phone just wants to annoy me.

Im going to give up until a better jailbreak comes out

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Not a bad idea. I jailbroke mine before iOS4 and just recently with 4.2.1, but not without a fight and several frozen installs before it finally rebooted/installed correctly (from the white Cydia icon issue to Winterboard crashing and burning after it installed).

Tense moments there, but stable now.

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Wrong time to "start"

you just pick the wrong time to "try" things out, since the current tools are more for testing and development. The current stage of Jailbreak for the current firmware is still in the Beta stage, Not a good time for a new user to "try" things out.