Yeah I know, I started a similar thread in Mac basics and help but this is different. I HAVE fixed up my battery (life isn't as good as it was six months ago but thats expected). Anyway, today I was sitting outside doing school reports in Microsoft Word and checking emails with Entourage and I decided to close my MacBook Pro well I went inside to get a drink. The blasted thing SHUTS DOWN instead of going to sleep (thank jeebus Word has recovery). So when I turn it back on the fans roar for at least 30 seconds while the CPU is 47c. This sounds like SMC to me but unless I am totally stupid, I did this correctly. I shut down the computer, unplugged the power, took out the battery, put the cover back on, turned it over, opened the lid, held the power button down for FIVE SECONDS EXACTLY then released. I then put the battery back in, plugged the computer back in and turned it on. I have done this like 4 or 5 times and I see NO changes. What am I doing wrong? I can't lug my power chord in my backpack (Well I could but, I don't want to if I don't have to) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me! Schooling will be VERY difficult. My parents cant afford a new battery right now and the battery isn't that bad. We can't afford to take it into the Apple store to have some guy old enough to be my big brother tell me there is something more serious wrong... so whats up? This is still the best computer I have ever owned but the battery well I don't know. Its old and the SMC must be borked. What does Battery Manufacture SMC mean? Am I blaming Sony when someone else made my battery? Could it be *gasp!* Apple inc.?