My (potential) iPad Pro, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nell, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Nell macrumors regular

I'm considering getting a 9.7" iPad Pro and am trying to decide which options to go for.

My first dilemma is how much storage to opt for? I have cloud storage so it's possible 32gb would be enough. My worry is that it would be a limitation if I decide to use the iPad for video. I gave an iPhone 6s so I don't think the iPad would get a lot of use in that respect, but should I opt for the 128gb model anyway?

My second dilemma is whether to go for the cellular option. I did use cellular on my old iPad (an iPad 2, so we're going back a bit) but I can tether my phone now so it'd only be used abroad and maybe WiFi's enough these days?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

A 256GB LTE model is as close to perfection as you can get.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

If you got the money get at least the 128gb. As far as cellular, I would not be without it but much depends on if you will ever use it. The cellular unit has the GPS and that alone is a big plus.

You can't add anything after purchase so . . . .

4. Nell thread starter macrumors regular

I think my instinct is saying 128gb and cellular but I keep wondering whether I'd be spending more than necessary.

I've never had a space problem on my previous iPad and that was 32gb (but it was also the middle choice, between 16gb and 64gb) but I'm kind of assuming that I'll need to keep and do more with this one as it's a much more capable machine.

I have a strong suspicion I won't use cellular much (if at all) but, as you say, it's a choice I only get to make once as it can't be updated. The Apple SIM seems to make the option of buying data abroad easier which makes me think I might actually use it.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Maybe you will. A little. Are you not able to pay for groceries or rent because of this perceived waste? Then don't do it. You are able? Then go for it and enjoy.

6. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I'm having the same dilemma regarding cellular or not. I can pick up 128GB wifi today at Best Buy or wait until next week for the 128GB LTE. I can use AT&T Next for the LTE though

I have never had a cellular version, but I have a 20GB data plan, so may as well use it.

I have the cash, I just prefer next at the moment.

What doesn't help is that an LTE version ($10/month plan for 20 months on Next and a $15 activation fee) would be $356 more.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Obviously, you can't add the price of the plan into the price of the iPad and compare it to the price of a non-cellular iPad. That's comparing Apples and Oranges. Of course it will cost more. IT HAS A CELLULAR PLAN. Duh.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I never buy the cellular model because I would only use it on rare occasion, and it's so easy and convenient to tether these days that it's no big deal, IMO.

How much space are you using on your current one? I am more tied to the cloud than ever, and I don't do too much video, but I could see that I was easily using 30GB+ on my previous iPad. I don't need the additional space other than it frees me from ever having to manage it.

9. ACG12 macrumors 6502

32gb is the new 16gb. Go 128gb and not have to worry about storage space.

10. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

For me, the only thing that would take up space is music, movies, and pictures. All of which are stored in the cloud. 32GB is more than enough (I loaded all my apps last night and only used up 6GB). I also find no need to pay extra for the cellular version because I can just tether my phone and use the existing plan I already pay for when needed. If your usage fits what I laid out, then the 32GB WiFi version should be just fine.

11. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

I got the cellular. $5 a month to access my overpriced data pool is nothing. But to have the ability to track my $1,600CAD tablet from anywhere is more than worth the extra pennies for the LTE version.

12. Nell thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses!

I used cellular on my previous iPad but that was when I couldn't tether on my phone contract (now I'm allowed up yo 4gb/month tethered) and there wasn't WiFi on my commute (there is now; it's patchy but do is the phone signal).

At this point it would only get used when I'm abroad, so a few weeks of the year at most and I'd only bother if there wasn't reliable WiFi where I was staying.

I doubt I was even using 16gb on my previous iPad and I do have cloud storage but I'm assuming shooting 4K video uses space even if the footage is later stored in the cloud so I guess I'm wondering whether I'll ever use the camera on an iPad when I have my phone in my pocket.

I won't go hungry if I get 128gb with cellular but the extra money could be put to good use: I do okay but I'm certainly not rich!

13. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Based on what you've said, I'd go with the middle ground option - 128gb storage and wifi only. You may not need all that space, but it's better to have room to grow than having the headache of trying to manage storage when things get tight.

14. stevemiller macrumors 65816

I'm likely getting 32gb wifi only. My previous iPad was 16gb and as a tertiary device it got by. Likewise I have a 6gb phone plan, so I'll just tether the rare times its away from wifi than pay for another data plan.

Overall it's already a very expensive casual device so I'm trying to keep it as lean as possible. If it fits the bill as a legit workhorse for someone I guess I could see springing for the extras though.

15. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I would go with a 32GB Cellular Model LTE is amazingly fast and a necessity Power Failure can happen anytime especially here in South Florida and usually LTE Data and Cell towers stay Up and its a Vital means of communication even entertainment. Since they have the Horsepower to handle it I envision Apple will soon allow iPad Pros to access USB Drives attached to a special adapter. So 32GB should be fine. Also Verizon is selling the 32GB LTE model for $529 thats a $70 Savings Also Sprint will Match that.

16. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Tethering to your phone would still work fine in that situation.