My Power Mac wont Boot past apple and spinning circle

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by safani, Nov 21, 2007.

1. safani macrumors newbie

I am new to macs and I am having problems getting my friends power mac g3 to work. It used to work perfectly fine, i attempted to unrar a large dmg one day and left the computer to finish since it would take a while, when i got back the computer was off and upon reboot it would no longer boot into the os. It hangs at the apple logo, the wheel doesnt stop spinning. Ive tryed waiting, no luck. Reseated the ram and reset p ram, no luck. Tryed safe mode nothing happened,:confused:. When i boot i usually get a finder icon with the question mark for a while then it finds the os but doesn't boot. I booted some other way after searching on Google for a fix and the mac was giving input output errors. From reading many posts on reasons why this would happen I would assume that my hard drives have failed. but I have two separate drives that seem to work as one , it just seems odd. Also, we bought it from a producer who was using it before us and there was no hard drive problems, it just seemed odd that they would all of a sudden fail when i get the mac. im just so confused since macs are quite different from pcs im used to working with. Also I have to explain the other annoying problem, all I have as another computer is my windows laptop. so i cant really burn mac stuff from a windows environment??:confused:?? I don't know but it seems that way since i have wasted at least 50 cds and my mac hasn't acknowledged any cds present.:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(

can anyone help?

2. safani thread starter macrumors newbie

update on my problem for any with the same

I got disk warrior to boot! Apparently apples take much longer than i thought to boot from cd. after giving up about 10 minutes after i booted the screen changed to blue:eek: now i should be fine as disk warrior is repairing things.