Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xinxin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Since last week it seems LCD display have some problem. The problem is: in the morning I wake the laptop up from sleep mode, on display, everywhere there is supposed to be pure white looks slightly yellow, such as login window, finder menu bar etc. Even safari window looks like „yellow silver‰. This will generally last for half an hour and turned back to normal gradually. By the time I am writing this email, it looked turned back, nice and beautiful.

And this is also not happening on everytime wake up from sleep mode. It seems ONLY in the morning (low temp(melbourne, aus)? or after a long sleep?)

Just wondering anyone here came cross similar problem before?

----------------------
Here is the reply from local apple shop:
Gudday,

The issue sounds like a possible logic board issue but it would need to be diagnosed properly first as there are a few other parts that it could be.

You are more than welcome to book it in for a service and it will be looked at within 4 days and could be back in your hands if the parts are available a few days after that. If you wish to contact Apple about this issue you are also more than welcome to do so but I will assume they will say to book it in for service.

Thanks for your time.

XXXX(guy's name from apple dealer).
----------------------------------------------------
I am scared to send back to be honest. Some people said apple service is good some said it is not.

any advice appreciate.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
There's probably a diagnostic tree that should pinpoint the problem to the LCD Backlight or Backlight Inverter.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What country do you live in? This might help people give you advice on whether they have had good experience with AppleCare where you live. I have mostly heard that it is good compared to most service programs for computers, but not perfect.

To me, it also sounds like a potential explanation is that the backlight -- there is a sort of bulb behind the LCD that makes it appear bright -- may be bad. :( These bulbs normally should not have a long "warm up" time. But when you say that it gets cold at night, how cold does it get wherever you store your computer? If the computer is getting very cold -- just as a guess, perhaps more than 15C colder than room temperature -- then you should let it physically warm up before you turn it on, if possible.

This sounds to me like a more likely explanation than the logic board, although that is possible too, and I am not an Apple technician. :)

In any event, this definitely sounds like a hardware issue.

xinxin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I am in Melbourne Australia

mkrishnan said:
What country do you live in? This might help people give you advice on whether they have had good experience with AppleCare where you live. I have mostly heard that it is good compared to most service programs for computers, but not perfect.

To me, it also sounds like a potential explanation is that the backlight -- there is a sort of bulb behind the LCD that makes it appear bright -- may be bad. :( These bulbs normally should not have a long "warm up" time. But when you say that it gets cold at night, how cold does it get wherever you store your computer? If the computer is getting very cold -- just as a guess, perhaps more than 15C colder than room temperature -- then you should let it physically warm up before you turn it on, if possible.

This sounds to me like a more likely explanation than the logic board, although that is possible too, and I am not an Apple technician. :)

In any event, this definitely sounds like a hardware issue.

I am in Melbourne. It's winter here, but not that cold enough to snow. Temp between 8 - 13 C.

What you said about bulb warming up makes sense to me. Yellow just happened after a long overnight sleep, most of the time during the day it is good. You think I need to contact apple dealer ASAP to replace something? I am in apple care, but I just bought it last month, so still in warrenty. I don't have to pay anything for that, do I? I read in another thread a guy was asked to pay $800 to replace a hard drive. I am scared now.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
You need to report any defects in a machine under warranty ASAP.

The guy who was going to be charged for a repair had dropped the machine and damaged it. Own damage is not covered under warranty. Defects from manufacture are covered no cost you don't have to be afraid of paying (unless you have done something boneheaded to your machine).

But don't wait. Get your case documented.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you have flourescent lights around you, you know what they look like when the light is going bad or the ballast.

The LCD backlights will tend to act the same way, they'll turn yellow. And it's either a bulb going bad or the inverter.

You've probably seen the same exact symptoms in an overhead flourescent light, it's yellow for awhile before going white.

It's a guess but most likely they will replace the inverter first.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
xinxin said:
I am in Melbourne. It's winter here, but not that cold enough to snow. Temp between 8 - 13 C.

Is it actually 8C where the computer is? That's pretty chilly for *indoors*.... But I don't think it should be enough to make a flourescent bulb act strangely. I agree with everyone else -- go see AppleCare as soon as possible.

Hehehe...sorry for asking what country you're in. In hindsight, you put it in your original message, and obviously I read the part where you put it (because that was where you put the low temp stuff in) but I forgot it somehow.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I'm in Melbourne also I don't have these issues with my PowerBooks display, although I did have the exact same issue with one of the 20" AL ACDs on my G5 the display needed to be replaced, I recommend you call Apple to get your machine looked at ASAP, just don't expect good service from Apple Australia IMHO they are one of the worst IT companies here when it comes to customer service/warranty claims. Based on my experience with them they'll tell you to call a reseller to get the machine looked at.

Good luck, and don't let Apple Australias support get you down.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Don't be afraid, your PowerMac is under warranty. So it won't cost you anything for repair. I would highly recommend purchasing AppleCare, that way you will be covered for a full three years. It will also give you phone support for the full three years.

xinxin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
My powerbook display issue (continue)

Hi, this morning I just did an extended hardware test using my installation DVD. Everything passed.

Just wondering, can this hardware test find out display colour and brightness problem? Will everything passed mean that there is no problem in my laptop?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
xinxin said:
Hi, this morning I just did an extended hardware test using my installation DVD. Everything passed.

Just wondering, can this hardware test find out display colour and brightness problem? Will everything passed mean that there is no problem in my laptop?

I doubt the hardware test CD has anyway to test the back lighting on your LCD, there is an easy test - if you look at it and white is yellow it's broken - you've done that, call Apple.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
i have the same problem with my powerbook lcd. except that the bottom corners of the screen appear pink when coming out of sleep mode. this is the second time my powerbook lcd has gone defective. the first time luckily it was under warrranty and apple replaced the screen. unfortunately, this time the powerbook is no longer under warranty. i don't know if it is worth getting fixed because it bet it will be expensive.

xinxin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Re

taeclee99 said:
i have the same problem with my powerbook lcd. except that the bottom corners of the screen appear pink when coming out of sleep mode. this is the second time my powerbook lcd has gone defective. the first time luckily it was under warrranty and apple replaced the screen. unfortunately, this time the powerbook is no longer under warranty. i don't know if it is worth getting fixed because it bet it will be expensive.

If you own that laptop more than 1 year and a half, I will suggest not to repair it unless you are sure you won't buy a new one in another two years. I have setup heaps of laptops for company. I really have a feeling that apple's quality is not that as good as their design. It is not a japanese car or german camera, you know what I mean. I just bought mine one month. I will buy apple care at the end of this year to extend its warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.