My PowerBook lags when I open the lid...what's happening?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JCPH, Dec 7, 2007.

1. JCPH macrumors member

Hi all,

I have an interesting question. Whenever I open up the lid on my PB G4, everything wakes up as usual and runs as normal for about half a second, but then I get the spinning beach ball thing. I think it might have something to do with my AirPort/WiFi, but that's only because that's what seems to be lagging. If I open an app before the lag, it will continue to open, but I cannot do anything. The computer is working fine otherwise and I have been living with this for a few months now (it only started when I replaced my hard drive - the old one was fried). I wouldn't usually complain, but it's getting a little annoying having to wait for 30s for my computer to do something (doesn't the spinning beach ball thing only appear when the computer is trying to open something big or a complex app?) that I didn't even ask it to do. Do you think this would stop if I got my computer to lock itself when it goes to sleep (and requires a password upon waking)? This doesn't happen when it sleeps normally, just when I close the lid.

I would appreciate your opinions. They have helped in the past.

JH

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Is this Leopard or Tiger?

Are you connected to any servers? Sometimes OS X will beachball when it's trying to locate a server.

Also, maybe it's the new Hard Drive (seems logical, considering this started right after you replaced the HD). Perhaps it just takes a few extra seconds.

3. JCPH thread starter macrumors member

It happened with Tiger and continued when I upgraded to Leopard.

EDIT: it's not on a server...and its a faster HD, so it seems odd that it would be slower...

4. JCPH thread starter macrumors member

No one?

So does anyone know anything about this or how to fix it (see above)? It's been going on for a while and it is still irritating. Does anyone else's PB G4 do this?

It seems to have something to do with the Wireless...because it doesn't seem to lag (beach-ball-of-death style) quite as much if the WiFi is turned off.

...all the more reason to get the new MB...

Thanks, hopefully someone knows something about this.