Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisFrikkenWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
ok i have this problem, my powerbook is not reading disc's, wether it be regular cd's or dvd's, it did today once but my computer froze and now it just makes loud noise coming from the dvd/cd drive and then spits the cd or dvd back out. if anyone can tell me whats wrong with my powerbook that would be great.

its a 15" powerbook g4 1.67ghz with 1gb of ram and 100gb hdd

DisFrikkenWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
Applespider said:
Not sure if this will help but since the last iTunes update, if iTunes is open sometimes my Superdrive in my PB won't recognise a a CD, whirs a lot and spits the CD out

If I close iTunes, it doesn't.

yeah that doesnt work for me....:(

DisFrikkenWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
how much you think apple will charge for a fix like this? like replacing the whole dirve with a new superdrive?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Have you installed any new software lately? I had a similar problem when I installed a region-free DVD reader program, where it would just spit out DVDs. Once I unloaded that, no problems.

DisFrikkenWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
yeah i tried repairing permissions, but it didnt work. it would work for my dvd "the anchorman"(sp) but it would work for only 8 secs where theres the company name and it just stops turns black and like...sounds like its trying to search the disk.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
DisFrikkenWill said:
crap its not even reading my system restore disk, or my Mac OS X tiger sofeware....

Were you trying to start up from these discs by holding down C before the boot tone? If not, then test whether you can start from these discs. :)

If you cannot, then I think resetting the PMU might help. If not, reset the PRAM because it's oh so fun and you'll be filled with glee. :p

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Oh come on, don't tell me you don't reset your PRAM and then do the post-PRAM-reset prance. It's one of my favourite jigs but it can get quite exhausting. :D

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
mad jew said:
Oh come on, don't tell me you don't reset your PRAM and then do the post-PRAM-reset prance. It's one of my favourite jigs but it can get quite exhausting. :D
I think I've only reset my PRAM twice in the 2.5 years I've been using Macs... and never did anything that could be likened to a "prance" afterward. But I'll work on one for the next time so I'll have it ready.

EDIT: Unless you have the steps already mapped out... if you could post them, that would be great. I think it would even be worthy of a sticky.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Heb1228 said:
EDIT: Unless you have the steps already mapped out... if you could post them, that would be great. I think it would even be worthy of a sticky.

1. Touch out with right heel and tap
2. Tap with right heel again
3. Touch back with right toe and tap
4. Tap with right toe again

5. Touch out with right heel
6. Touch back with right toe
7. Touch out with right heel
8. Touch back with right toe

9. Right foot crosses over left left putting weight on right foot
10. Left foot touches out to side
11. Bring left foot back together with a stomp
12. Right foot stomps

13. Left foot touches out to side
14. Bring left foot back together with a stomp
15. Right foot touches out to side
16. Bring right foot back together with a stomp

17. Left foot steps back
18. Touch out with right heel (guys tip hat brim)
19. Right foot steps forward
20. Touch left toe next to right foot
AND left foot steps back

21. Touch out with right heel (guys tip hat brim)
AND right right foot steps forward

22. Touch left toe next to right foot
AND left foot steps back

23. Touch out with right heel (guys tip hat brim)
AND right foto steps forward

24. Touch left toe next to right foot

25. Left foot steps forward
26. Pivot 1/4 turn to right on ball of right foot
27. Left foot stomps
28. Right foot stomps

29. Left foot steps in place
30. Pivot 1/4 turn to right on ball of right foot
31. Left foot stomps
32. Right foot stomps

33. Left foot steps forward at 45 degree angle to left
34. Right foot slides up to left
35. Left foot steps forward at 45 degree angle to left
36. Brush kick with right foot

37. Right foot steps to right
38. Left foot steps to right behind right leg
39. Right foot steps to right
40. Touch out with left heel (guys tip hat brim)

41. Left foot steps to left
42. Right foot steps to left behind left leg
43. Left foot steps to left
44. Touch out with right heel (guys tip hat brim)

45. Right foot steps forward putting weight on this foot
46. Pivot 1/2 turn to left on ball of right foot, bringing weight down on left foot.
47. Right foot steps forward putting weight on this foot
48. Pivot 1/2 turn to left on ball of right foot, bringing weight down on left foot.

Apologies to all Diffie Altitude dancers out there for blatantly stealing your moves.

So, how did the PMU reset go DisFrikkenWill? :)

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I need to practice a few times so I'll be ready the next time I have to reset PRAM. Definitely don't want to get any steps wrong! For some reason it seems like it would go well with some country music playing in the background.

I bet the instructional video would sell well! Mad Jew and the PRAM Reset Prance... I can see it now. Produced completely in Final Cut Studio.

DisFrikkenWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
yup did those resets and still it doesnt work, but my disc drive sounds different now. and now the disc acutally ppopps up on the desktop now i think its just the drive...im gonna go check it out tomarro at the mac store here. thanks, if theres any other things i should try out let me know

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
I had the same problems with my Superdrive Last year.
It went out completly about 6 months ago, but i got it replaced for free under AppleCare...WELL they must have put in a refurb Drive cause its lasted 6 months and now crapped out entirely again. Found some good prices on a New one that can burn Dual Layer Drives for $129 - $ 135
MCE Superdrive
Macsales Superdrive

Cant decide which to buy myself cause i havent heard of MCE technologies at all.

Installation should be pretty easy to do myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.