My PowerBook screen is dim--Really dim

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by coupdetat, Jan 18, 2009.

1. coupdetat macrumors 6502

I just revived my 12" PowerBook and I just starting to notice how dim the screen has become. Even my iMac G3's CRT is much brighter than my PB. I really love this thing and don't want to stop using it, so I was thinking about options to fix the screen. What's the cheapest route? Can I replace only the backlight, or do I have to replace the screen? And where is the most reliable place to get a screen changed? If anyone has some experience with this, I'd hugely appreciate it!

2. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

Im curious about this one too!
    i also have a 12" powerbook and ive noticed that its pretty dim as well... i wonder if it just SEEMS so dim because my new macbook is so brilliantly bright?

3. macjunkie33 macrumors member

I dont know if this helps your situation any, but ill put it out there anyways...

I wanted to try and keep my 5 year old 12" Powerbook alive with maxed out ram because I didn't want to make the Intel transition and upgrade my software $$$ but after a week of the new ram, I was still annoyed about the sluggish performance. So long story short, I went out and made the transition to the maxed out 15" Unibody MBP.

As I powered up my new computer, and set it next to my Powerbook I laughed out loud to how dim my Powerbook was in comparison. I can't look at it anymore and cannot wait to hand it off to my parents.

The new LED screen is "blinding" in comparison to the old matte lcd on my powerbook, I would never go back. It is simply incredible. Now all I gotta do is put down a few paychecks on CS4 and FCP and Ill be good to go.

IMO, putting more money into a 12" Powerbook wouldn't be that great of an investment unless you have no need for processor power or a video card that can run anything decent.

4. coupdetat thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I already have a MBA--it really does make the PB screen look awful. I'm mainly interested in saving my PB for sentimental reasons :eek: I am really attached to this computer.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

If the screen is a big problem, I would replace it...that is, if you have the money to do it. If I was in your position...I wouldnt bother. The computer is 5 years old, so the screen will be very dim. If you still want to use it, plug it into an external monitor and use it as a desktop.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

CCFL's dim over time while LED backlight displays don't. :p