My Powerbook woes...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bentley, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. bentley macrumors 6502

    Mar 20, 2005
    Hi there

    I bought a 12" 1.33ghz Powerbook in August 2004 and had problems with the screen and hard-drive so I bought Applecare just in time and they fixed the problems.

    Then about a month ago when on charge the Powerbook overheated and the left section of keyboard melted off. I touched the Powerbook and received a pretty bad burn.

    Apple were very apologetic about the issue and sent me out a new 1.5ghz 12" with a superdrive and lots of goodies like an iSight and stuff. Very happy!

    Well 2 days after receiving it I went to London as I tour with a band. Our dressing room got burglarised and my brand new Powerbook went.

    Covered by insurance but highly incovenient I'm now in a dilemma what to do. I love the 12" Powerbook form factor and I was very happy with the performance of the PPC inside it. However I now have to buy a replacement and it doesn't look like a 12" Macbook Pro is imminent.

    I know there's talk of a 13" Macbook/iBook, I just don't know if it's going to have Pro features like a decent dedicated graphics card/ superdrive/ built-in iSight.

    I'm unsure of the 15" form factor of the Macbook Pro.

    I just don't know what to do!
  2. Shamus macrumors 6502a


    Feb 26, 2006
    i think that waiting for the 12" macbook pro, would be a smart move. They just will NOT put integrated graphics in the Pro version of the laptops. Now the iBook replacement, the 'macbook', that may unfortunately see an integrated graphics change, considering the mac mini has gone that way. Fingers crossed that they dont though.

    In the end, it is up to you wether you need a new laptop now, or wether you are willing to wait a month for the macbook 13", or even longer for the macbook pro 12/13." I think it depends greatly on hjow long you intend the computer to last. If you intend to use it for a year, and then upgrade, then id say get the PPC model now, otherwise you will be stuck with rosetta. But if you intend for your computer to last more than a couple of years, wait. The performance increase you will see by waiting for the intel will be great, once alll apps are universal.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  4. student_trap macrumors 68000


    Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    Waiting seems to be the way to go, although it could be a while, and insurance companies won't find waiting for the 13in mbp as important as you will!
  5. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2005
    If you can try waiting till Apple's rumored late March/Early April annoucement surrounding its 30th B-day on April 1. Intel iBooks (MacBooks?) or the announcement of the replacements to the 12" and 17" PowerBooks are surely to be coming then.
  6. bentley thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 20, 2005

    asap. I use my laptop for work but I think I can borrow one.

    It's so annoying because I work as a tour manager so I don't have a "desk" where I could do my work on an old machine.

    I'm going to wait until April 1st and evaluate between the iBook replacement and the Pro 15".
  7. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Feb 12, 2005
    Nice to see Apple kept it honest for you...and it sucks to hear about your PowerBook.

    If I was in your situation, I'd take the money and buy a new 12" PowerBook (f*** the waiting game, unless you know a new machine is imminent). You need it now, right? And your old one fit your needs, right? Then just go buy another and be happy. :)
  8. MrTchMan macrumors member

    Aug 16, 2005
    That sucks. I would wait. Newer technology is nice.
  9. m-dogg macrumors 65816


    Mar 15, 2004
    Well, I'm currently looking to buy a laptop but am waiting until early April before I make a decision. However, I already have a nice iMac so I am able to wait. Depending on what comes out, I may get a new machine or I may get a 12" powerbook from the Apple Refurb Store.

    Another thing to keep in mind, is that Apple still hasn't actually announced any event for their 30th Anniversary. So it's possible that they won't have anything. I'm hopeful they do, but some people on these boards seem so confident you'd think they already received a perosnal invite to the birthday party. I'll feel better once I hear that an official event has been announced.

    Since you need it for work, you may want to take the insurance check and buy a discounted refurbished PB now. Then you can sell it if something new comes out that you just have to have. You may lose some money in the long run, but at least then you'd be able to get your work done right now.
  10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

    That sounds like the best idea, even if it means the iBook replacement is merely a carry-over machine until smaller MacBooks come out. :)
  11. bentley thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 20, 2005
    I honestly cannot believe this.

    I took out the Crucial RAM I added to the original Powerbook as I'm just about to send it back.

    Try turning it on and perfect, everytime. Turns out it was the RAM that had failed and that it turn caused my Powerbook to melt.

    But I've got to send my working (but keyboardless) Powerbook back and I've nothing here.

    Thanks Crucial! (who by the way I rang and said all they can do is send me a replacement out!)

    I feel like crying.

Share This Page