My powerbook won't start up!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ash987, May 23, 2008.

1. ash987 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Foolishly I have just deleted an important looking file that required admin authentication from my 'Macintosh HD' - and now, my powerbook G4 12 inch running 10.5 won't start up. It freezes on the apple icon without progressing onto the spinning circle.

Now, I have access to my PB's HD through Target Disk Mode on another MacBook and was wondering if the problem is fixable by taking the file out of the trash and reinserting back into its original place.

Is this possible? If so, where in the HD is the trash can located?

If this is not possible, then, is it possible to copy all of the PB's files onto the MB and then migrate the entirety of the system during reinstallation of 10.5 from the MB onto the PB - i.e. so that I do not have to physically drag and drop all my PB files, programs and preferences (now residing on the MB) onto the freshly installed PB.

I do use the Time Machine back up system but only for my word documents as my external is only 40GB.

Thanks for your help.

2. Enna macrumors newbie

same problem here...

for the trash folder try looking it from spotlight, just tell spotlight to look on your "damaged" Mac.
    I made the same thing but i cant seem to be able to just restore the files . . .