My PowerMac G5 Won't STOP Freezing HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryantt, Nov 9, 2007.

1. ryantt macrumors newbie

I have a Power Mac G5 (1.6GHz & 2.5GB of memory). My computer keeps freezing. It has been happening for about 1-2 years. It does it randomly while any application is open. or sometimes even while opening an application. When it freezes the mouse and keyboard no longer work and eventually the fan picks up; it goes extremely fast and gets extremely loud; it sounds like it is either going to explode or take off from the ground, and I am forced to shut down my computer by holding down the power button.
    When it first happened I wasn't able to restart the computer. the screen remained black and the fan just kept on goin'. I took it in to a CompUSA and they replaced my hard drive; however, this did not work. I recently replaced my RAM, but the computer is still freezing. AAAAHHHH!!!!
    My girlfriend has an AOL account and it tends to freeze a lot on www.aol.com; it has also been freezing a lot while I am trying to post this damn message.
    Someone please help, I don't know what I am going to do. Any suggestions would be amazing.
    Thanks.
    -Ryan

2. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

The same thing happened to my PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8. Over the course of 2.5 years I had the logic board replaced twice and a processor card once. The last time it happened was a few weeks ago. They offered to just replace it with a new Mac Pro. I took them up on their offer. (thank God for AppleCare) :D

Do you still have AppleCare?

3. ryantt thread starter macrumors newbie

no, i don't have have applecare anymore. maybe i should get it again.

4. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I'm not sure you can get Applecare again after the initial 3-year period, unless someone knows different...

You may well have tried some or all of these and I have no idea if any of them will help, but you could do the following:

-Check any PCI cards or your graphics card is properly, firmly seated in their slots.
    -Make sure your Hard Drive leads are securely connected.
    -Try putting your HD in the second bay instead.
    -Try your keyboard and mouse in a different USB socket.
    -Try running your apps while disconnected from the internet (in case it's a networking/internet problem).
    -Try creating a new user account and seeing if the problem persists.
    -Check for dust (you can get cans of compressed air to clean out dust in computers)

-Give it a stern talking to?!

Hope you can figure out the problem eventually, it must be infuriating.

5. Buttercookie macrumors member

Back in the PC world my computer used to do this when I needed to use compressed air. Kinda sounds like it may be a heat issue. I could be wrong just trying to help. Make sure your fans are working.

6. ryantt thread starter macrumors newbie

im sorry, but i have no idea how to check or replace any PCI cards or graphic cards . . . help please?

I did switch my HD into the second bay and it still froze and I have created a new user account and disconnected from the internet, but no luck yet.

I will be buying some cans of compressed air soon. is there any particular place i should be spraying it?

thanks again for everyones help
    -ryan

7. ryantt thread starter macrumors newbie

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You said it's been freezing for 1-2 years? Have you ever addressed this with Apple?