My predicted iPhone 5 specs, do you agree?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JMC08, Sep 9, 2011.

?

i5 specs: Do you agree?

1. Agree

6.6%
  2. Mostly Agree

34.4%
  3. Somewhat Agree

36.1%
  4. Disagree

23.0%
  1. JMC08, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

JMC08 macrumors regular

iPhone 5

4'' to 4.2'' screen (market as '20% more retina)
    Retina Display Plus- better viewing in sunlight/more fingerprint resistant (Both or one of them)
    Design that fits the prevalent case that keeps popping up
    A5 Processor
    LED Notification
    Up to 20% better battery life for standby, and internet usage
    Speech to Text throughout whole iOS
    Assistant powered by Siri

This seems like a lot but I'm willing to bet that a lot of these are happening.

If you combine the 2 display upgrades or the 2 software upgrades, you have your '7 tentpole features' (The terminology that Apple uses is laughable sometimes).

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I disagree because the screen is going to be nowhere close to 4 inches; 3.7 max.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I actually think the biggest size Apple will go for is a 4" screen, but nothing bigger than that. That would be ideal for me too since 4" is the perfect screen size for me.

4. feeth macrumors 6502

Same size, faster proc, better camera and screen.

5. roow110 macrumors regular

I just wanted to share my predictions about the next iteration of the iPhone:

4'' to 4.2'' screen (market as '20% more retina)
    I would argue that it will be a solid 4", no more, no less. Any larger and it would be too big and too too much of a transition, any smaller, and it wouldn't be a big enough benefit for it to be even worth the effort. They will in the process however loose their retina display...

Retina Display Plus- better viewing in sunlight/more fingerprint resistant (Both or one of them)
    As I said, I think the display will no longer be "retina" status. They cannot add more pixels or else every app will have to be redesigned, so they must decrease the resolution. I agree about the sunlight/ fingerprint resilience considering their recent patents.

Design that fits the prevalent case that keeps popping up
    I think that this case design is without a doubt fake. According to the rumors , not even Apple has finalized their exterior design. The iPhone 5s in production now have no exterior casing because they don't even have it ready yet. Plus, The Phone was way to large, if the bezel stayed the same size, the display would be around 4.7 inches which is too drastic a change, and also consumers who have used phones that size typically give them low ratings because they are too large. AND, the tapered design just seems un-apple like because the awkward weighting of it in landscape position.

A5 Processor
    Without a doubt I agree. In addition, I bet they will bump the memory and storage capacity.

LED Notification
    I have seen no indication that they will add this feature and it seems all-around unnecessary.

Up to 20% better battery life for standby, and internet usage
    I agree, they always try to bump the battery life, and with the iPhone, it really could use an improvement.

Speech to Text throughout whole iOS and Assistant powered by Siri
    This is more of an iOS 5 prediction, but I think that it is pretty much a given as well.

Some additional predictions: I think the phone is very likely to include 4G considering it will almost certainly be open to T-Mobile, and now Sprint it seems. It will of course be thinner as well, but I don't think it will necessarily be lighter. They will also ad an 8mp camera. Any rumors that the iPhone will be a minor update I think are completely wrong. This iteration of the iPhone has been in development for 2 years now, and they've pushed back the release date months, so if it doesn't get a major update then they have failed their users and made a big mistake. It simply won't happen.

6. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed completely.

But if you don't think that the recent case designs are legit, then what do you think it'll look like?

What about the iPhone 4S, or whatever the rumored cheaper version will be?

7. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I think the 4S will be a minor bump in specs, maybe with some new items to aid in manufacture and price reduction.

As for the 5, not sure what to think - I expect the usual hardware bumbe in processor, RAM, storage, and also hope for a larger screen, and maybe a slightly thinner design.

8. roow110, Sep 9, 2011

roow110 macrumors regular

The question about the design is what has really been puzzling me. Just for PR sake, they will probably ditch the antenna design. I think it will have a tapered design like the iPad considering that it will make it look thinner, and give it an aluminum back so they dont have as many problems with broken glass on the back. I actually think there is a strong chance they could have some polycarbonate on the back instead of aluminum to remove the need for a plastic section where the antenna is. I've also been pondering the possibility that it could have a smart-cover-like case, and therefor have the buttons on the reverse side. Although to be honest, I haven't a clue. This is all speculation with no evidence to back any of it up.

Many of the 4S rumors were true; just like with the release of any new iPhone, Apple releases a cheaper version of the previous iPhone, so the iPhone 4S was actually just a cheap version of the iPhone 4. Any rumors about a smaller iPhone or a cloud iPhone or anything like it were just false. The iPhone 3GS will then be bumped to a free version, and the iPhone 4 would be the $100 version.

9. aohus macrumors 68000

its going to be a 5.29 inch LG AH-IPS display

Pico Projector Support

6GB triple channel DDR3 memory

quad-core A6 processor

4K resolution recording and playback, same specs as RED cameras.

10. RtodaAV macrumors member

11. kjjnk macrumors member

Anything 4" or above will mean they will have to increase the resolution to keep the PPI above the 'retina' 300. I don't see that happening. The largest size you guys should be realistically hoping for is 3.8", anything larger puts it under the 300 mark with the 960x640 resolution.

12. blunti macrumors 6502a

doubt the display size and the LED notification.

13. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Because while the iPhone 3G (or even the original) had a good size screen when they were released, screen sizes in other phones have increased in the last 3 or 4 years, but the iPhone has not.

I dont want a huge 5 inch screen in a device that I need 2 hands to hold, but I do want the iPhone 5 to increase the screen to a larger one, simply to satify old ba*tards like me who love watching movies and TV shows on the screen, but who's eyes are not as good as they were when I was 20.:cool:

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

A tapered back like iPad 2 with polycarbonate goes back towards iPhone2,1 and iPhone2,2.

15. roow110 macrumors regular

I'd say the biggest rumor regarding the iPhone 5 is the screen size, and it is also the source of the greatest controversy. I decided I would try to explore both sides of the arguments.

Pro: the 3.5 inch display on the iPhone 1 was revolutionary and set the industry standard for years to come, however with the improvements in technology and pricing of displays, the screen size is now unnecessarily small. Many of the very first rumors about the iPhone 5 were that it would have a larger screen and there have been countless rumors since then. How is it that there could be so many rumors without any truth behind them? A 4 inch screen would allow for the iPhone to compete against the countless android phones that are purchased for their larger screen size and allow a more better viewing and touch experience. The screen size could also be increased to 4" without increasing the overall size of the phone and allow it to keep it's small profile.

Con: the 3.5 inch screen was, from the start, the ideal size for a smartphone. It is small enough to fit in your pocket and big enough to be effective. apple chose this size for a reason. Increasing the size of the screen would decrease the resolution thereby getting rid of the retina display that makes the iPhone screen so beautiful and fantastic to use. all of the rumors behind the larger screen are just rumors and, like the countless false rumors for a Verizon iPhone over the years, could very well be completely false even though there are many sources arguing for it. In addition, android users who have large screens typically complain about the size and tend to prefer a smaller screen.

I the end, I suppose either argument could be valid, though I am still leaning toward the larger screen. There has been so much information released about the larger screen that I don't believe it could be a coincidence and the advantages would be enormous.

16. kjjnk, Sep 9, 2011

kjjnk macrumors member

Disagree. I think the only reason this iPhone has taken as long as it has to be released is because iOS 5 wasn't ready and couldn't be ready due to them wanting Lion out by the summer and because of iCloud.

17. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I agree on a solid 4". But, with that being said they can still lower resolution, have a 4" display, and technically still be considered "retina".

A rumor is a rumor is a rumor. No one rumor can be more accurate then another rumor. So u can't say that the "teardrop case" rumor isn't true because the "exterior of the phone has not be finalized" rumor says so. It just doesn't work that way. Its more like u hope the case rumor isn't true because u don't like it, and u justify it by believing the rumor about the exterior not being finalized. See how rumors can mess with ur head.

And as long as we are weighing rumors here, I'd be willing to bet the exterior is totally finalized at this point. If the rumored dates are correct, we could have press invites going out next week, and a formal announcement the next. If those rumors turn out to be correct, I'd say the exterior is without doubt finalized.

And the case rumor is not going away. If u look at all iOS devices from the past, case rumors are about the only rumors that end up being somewhat, if not exactly correct. And although I totally agree that a tapered, or teardrop design would be un-apple like for a device that utilizes landscape, the case suggests a very slight taper. One that may not cause any unbalanced, or un-natural feel in landscape mode. Like it or not, u almost have to take a close look at the case designs. And I don't see too many others at this point that would suggest anything different.

But again, these are ALL rumors. And they ALL have to be treated as such. We can all have fun speculating, hoping, dreaming & arguing. But the TRUTH is, NONE of us know ANYTHING about this next gen iPhone...Not a damn thing. And until Apple tells us something, (or until someone picks one up at a local bar and sells it to Gizmodo), we just have to sit here and wait. And hopefully that wait is shorter then longer. The suspense is killing me!!

----------

Oh, and the LED notification light...There are a ton of people around here that would disagree that it's "unnecessary". In fact, it's one of the most wanted features (see former threads about "most wanted features"). Saying it's unnecessary is totally subjective.

18. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

A notification light can be SO helpful. I had one on my Nexus One, and omg... It was amazing.

Here 1 random situation where it'd be helpful: Someone's talking to you and your phone's on the table. It'd be rude to pick it up and check notifications, so instead you just take a 1 second glance at it.

19. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I think they'll boast that the iPhone retains the same battery life despite a bigger screen.

: shrug :

20. hansiedejong macrumors regular

That's why iPhone will never get 4''. Steve Says 7-Inch Tablets Are ‘Dead on Arrival’, iPad remains 9,7''. So I think Apple thinks iPhone shouldn't be that large. They will remember Steve's thoughts.

21. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

i don't know if someone has told you since you posted this, people found references to an LED Notification in the iOS 5 betas

22. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

What happens if they say they did some research and they found that people normally hold their phones closer than 12 inches away from their eyes? Can they make it 4 to 4.2 and keep the Retina resolution?

I'm surprised that more people are only somewhat agreeing or disagreeing. You are all going to be surprised when the announcement comes.

23. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

For everyone who is screaming for a bigger screen, are we going to be able to fit 5 icons per row when this new screen arrives?

24. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

No way 4.2". 3.7-4" max. What with all the secrecy surrounding this model, the delay, and Jobs stepping down right at the end of development, we may be in for an epic iPhone. I think it would be the ultimate turd if they did a minor spec bump, there's too much surrounding this particular release to do that. It's not Apples style to disappoint so I'm not worried.

25. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I don't think there will be an LED light on the front, but I sure wish there would be. Also, I would LOVE to be able to fix icons wherever I wanted on the screen like you can do if you jailbreak. That snap-to feature is a pain and makes every screen so busy-busy-busy.

Also, I sure hope the screen is larger than 4 inches, but that would be better than what's there now. With SO much capability in the iPhone and such a tiny screen... I end up on the iPad for a lot of things that I could do on the iPhone if the screen were larger.