My Prediction for the 3g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wishsong, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Wishsong macrumors regular

After the new Iphone here's what I predict:

-Basically the same upgrade: Nothing new on the outside, faster processor and better battery on the inside.
    -No Camera. I don't think ipods aren't meant to have cameras. The touch isn't competing on the phone market.
    -Same memory bump. Probably keeping the 8gb to appeal as a lower price. Think about it, why does anyone need 64 gb of memory? 8gb is sufficient for some people.
    -Probably no OLED, but there is a 40% possibility (I think) because it has to compete with the Zune HD.
    -No Radio. Apple wants you to pay for that.

Thoughts? I mean come on. Are they actually going to give a Camera, OLED, Radio, DVR, Faster Processor, GPS, all in ONE upgrade? This is the company that installs a bluetooth chip and doesn't use it until an update you PAY for.

2. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

A camera is definitely possible. All of these devices are evolving and they'll keep going to the point where everything does everything.

There will be no OLED screen. The iPhone will get one first.

The processors and all that under the hood will definitely get a big boost.

I'm guessin we'll see the 64GB.

I doubt the radio too, but you never know. I'd use an AM radio.

3. MTI macrumors 65816

I think that part of Apple's marketing strategy has to include enough differentation between the Touch and the iPhone to distinguish the two platforms.

No camera and only WiFi on the Touch created that consumer choice and is likely to continue in the future. Apple probably looks at the Touch primarily as an App Store platform revenue source. If there are ways for the company to generate larger sales of apps by adding features to the hardware, without cutting too deeply into their flagship iPhone, then there's a chance.

4. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

I wish it would have a mic too. It probably won't though.

5. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Here's my take.

Based on the iPhone update, here are the definites for the 3G touch this fall:

Faster processor and double the RAM
    64gb
    Better battery life (on spec sheet as usual)
    1mp (or lesser) cam - in the upcoming months, you'll see some apps and games surfacing that will utilize a cam feature and the touch was geared towards "fun" compared to the iPhone. 50% probability.
    Another 50% probability is the mic. Why? Voice Control, baby!!!! I can see the 3G touch fully utilizing OS 3.0.

As for OLED, I don't think it'll happen yet. Like DHarrisDBS34 mentioned, we should have seen it with the iPhone beforehand. There's still a slim possibility that this will happen although I won't hold my breath. Honestly, this is what I really want. And no, Apple doesn't care much about the Zune or whatever they do with their devices. Never have and never will unless Zunes will start becoming a threat in the market. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

FM radio - will not happen. This has always been in everyone's wishlist after the first classic iPod. Won't happen. Trust me. Same as an SD card slot, flashlight, screwdriver, toaster and all the goodies you wish for in other DAPs. :)