My pro wont let me download anything!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ash.marshall92, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ash.marshall92 macrumors newbie

So just recently my macbook pro started acting up and slowing down and i've been seeing the spiral of death a lot and whenever opening i tunes i get "an unknown error occurred (13014) i have looked into this previously but then i found out the problem is with my hard drive. I cant even format my hard drive or repair it. I have lost my printer driver and i cant seem to download anything new to my mac. What can i do?? PLEASE help!! its driving me nuts and i'm thinking about just buying a new hard drive.

Any suggestions??

Thanks guys!!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Which Model MBP
    How Old?
    Which OS?
    How did you try to repair the HD?
    How did you try to format the HD?
    Do you have a bootable Backup?

3. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

This sounds Stupid, but do you have space on the current hard drive?

4. ash.marshall92 thread starter macrumors newbie

So i bought it two years ago in january.
    i have Mac os x 10.6.8 and i cant download any updates.
    I tried formatting the hard drive thru disk utilities and erasing everything but it wouldn't let me to anything.
    and i do have an external hard drive with all my files backed up onto it but i don't know if its "bootable?"

----------

haha :p yaa i have more than half of my 500 gb

5. Idefix macrumors 6502

Next question is whether you bought Applecare: if you did, take it immediately to the Apple Store Genius bar.

If you're not near an Apple Store, call the 800-number for Applecare. Sounds like your HD is going bad.

6. zerodb macrumors member

Don't forget Disk Utility won't let you mess with your main drive because that's where your system files (including Disk Utility!) are living.

To do any major operations (like formatting or partitioning) on your main drive, you need to boot from the original Mac OS installation disk (DVD) and then once it boots up, instead of reinstalling the OS you can run Disk Utility from there.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I asked quite a bit of questions for reasons, it seems like you don't know you can not repair or format a disk from the boot(startup) disk.
    That's why I asked you how you tried to repair the disk.
    For repairing a disk or formating you could insert the install disks which came with your MBP or if you made a bootable backup from that one.
    Both me and the poster below think that you are not aware of this, are you a newbie/uncomfortable with your mac?

Yeah, that's why I asked the Op how he tried to repair/format the HD.