My problem with cases

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corriewf, Jun 26, 2010.

1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Posting because I don't know if anyone else has this same problem or not with cases. With my iPhone 3GS, I put an ifrog case on it and an encase. I also used a zagg shield. Worked great! After about 8 months of using that set up I noticed that dirt dust whatever gets in between the case and the phone and scratched he phone up pretty bad. My bezel is scratched, the plastic back is scratched. WTF....:(. Now I am reluctant to use a hard case on my new iphone or iPad.

Anyone else experience this?

2. draz macrumors 6502a

I bought a Marware case link because it has an open end and doesn't allow much dust in.

I love it, but I have to take the phone out to use it. And never had any dust probs behind the screen.

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Pretty much every case thread for the 3G/3GS discussed this.

4. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yet for some reason I feel like glass is going to be even worse than plastic when it comes to scratches.

5. icyfire macrumors 6502

couldn't you just put an invisibleshield type product on the phone and then use a case to avoid scratches? I know it's $$$ but at least it's a solution to the problem. As far as I know, there isn't a single case on the market that doesn't have people complaining about scratches on the phone.

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Do you also put plastic slip covers on your sofa cushions?

7. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

And how did you come to that logical conclusion :rolleyes:?
    Because glass is always easier to scratch than plastic?

8. JoeC2k6 macrumors member

i put a case on my 3g and it had scratches scuff marks that couldnt be removed. Im going case less

9. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Oh FFS, why can't people just look after their stuff? I've got an old SONY Ericsson mobile I had for several years before getting an iPhone. I'm keeping it for my daughter to use if she wants it, and there is not a mark on it. Never been inside a case, I'm just careful where I put it. If it's in a pocket, it's on its own. Never put it down on rough surfaces etc. Kinda' obvious, no? Still, you people will be suckered into all this marketing and scaremongering.

10. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Plastic seems to show them less even though it's probably more prone. The glass on the iPhone 4 has more shine than the plastic on an iPhone 3GS.

My experience with zagg is that it takes away the smoothness of the touch interface. Also with time it gets pits and bubbles that won't go away without replacing it. Also if you have to exchange your phone because of a problem, your #%$&ed.

11. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

How many pockets do you have? I have two, one is for keys and the other for everything else which can be a lot. If you can get away with not caring anything other than keys, awesome! I can't. If I put anything in the pocket I keep my keys, it will come out when I take my keys out and get lost.

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You have to clean it every few months. I have used a black incase slider on my 3G and 3GS and had no issues after a year of usage. I also don't use screen protectors and again, no issue. Some people might have problems but I was one that did not. My phone looked the same going in, as it did going out for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. juicexct macrumors member

use a case you'll get scratches...when you take the case off.

don't use a case you'll get scratches that are visible all the time.

it seems logical to me to use the case?

14. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Use the case, you don't see the iPhone but see a scratched case instead, take the case off, see a phone scratched by a case. Doesn't seem logical either way.

15. telarmago macrumors member

Now that's a nicely cared for phone! Mine had scratches all over - my pockets had a lot of lint :/

I'm going to use a feather on this i4, and I'm going to try turning my pockets inside out before putting my pants in the wash to see if that removes the annoying lint.

16. drewby macrumors member

drewby

THIS.

Problem. Solved. :D

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Thanks. I took care of it but I did not baby it either. It was dropped a couple times, slid across surfaces and the like. The case took the abuse. The phone was fine. I took it out of the case every few months to clean it. Before putting it back in, I cleaned the case.

My brothers is the same way. No scratches either and again, we use our phones heavily.

18. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

I cleaned mine every 2-3 months as well. I guess my pockets are dirtier than yours. Do you carry a lot of things in your pockets? I always have 3-4 things in my pockets at a time. Also from time to time I can do some dirty work outside. Either way it sucks. I guess there is no way to avoid it for me.

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Nope. Only thing I carry in my pocket is my wallet. That's it. Keys go in my left or right pocket. My phone is always in my shirt pocket. If I want something more secure, it goes in my left pants pocket, screen towards me and nothing else in there. Nary an issue.