My Problem with Today's Conference.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zerocustom1989, Jul 16, 2010.

1. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

My Problem with today's conference is that I feel like I was treated like a stupid person through the entire thing.

They claim to be an engineering company who can solve problems and they're solving this by giving away a free patch?

My experience with this problem is that when I touch the magical "x-spot" All of my internet data completely stops if I am in an area with 3 bars or less. My bars only drop 1, but all data stops. This was not addressed and was ignored.

Did steve show me that all phones have this problem? No he didnt. All i have to do is lay one finger on my phone. Other phones were gripped by a lot of flesh in the images shown.

All of the statistics he showered were fodder. I didn't call customer support cause I knew the internet and media were doing enough complaining.

The problem isn't the bars it's the data flow. Only one finger does this to the iPhone 4, not other phones. Hell im sure laying a key or something conductive on the antenna would cause this. Apple wants to publicly appear that the only problem is 'bars'. I'm disappointed the press didn't question the data rates as it's something they probably tested and something we are wanted to ignore.

That said, I'm to ingrained in Apple's halo and wont be returning my device. I'll continue to better my software experience by writing apps for it.

I expect a slight hardware change come october based on how non-explicit steve was about the prospect of a hardware fix.

Thanks macrumors for providing me a forum to say this.

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah they actually did show how several other phones also have this problem.

Unlike anyone else I have seen so far , they have actually tested other phones.

You can feel mistreated all you want. The bottom line is if the phone doesn't work for you or you don't want to use a case than don't do it.

Just return it and be done with it. The time for drying your eyes is long gone.

People should not enforce stupid rumors about October either. They have a deadline just because they need a deadline. They may extend it then or something else may happen. Nobody should be reading any more into it than that.

All phones do have this problem. If the way you normally use the phone causes you problems then you have a complaint. If you only have an issue because you keep poking your phone in one area and see the bars drop, well who cares about that?

It obviously can't be that big of a problem if you are not returning the phone. I am not sure why you think Steve Jobs should pat you on the shoulder and say, "There there lil fellow, it will be okay."

Apple has never denied that you can interfere with the antenna on the iPhone 4. They simply said it is not a real world problem for using the phone.

3. zerocustom1989 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is defined as: "placing one finger on the device is causing a dramatic loss of bars and data-rate."

Do other phones have a 1 finger or conductive material weakness?

That's the problem. Dont redefine the problem because the facts presented solve that one instead. Deal with the real design fault.

Why shouldn't someone that buys a phone in october be given an additional product that makes the phone work in an acceptable way? The bumper fixed my problem, everyone should have that option.

4. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

this is a non issue for Apple with already more than 3 million+ iPhones sold and only a 1.7% return rate.

like Steve Jobs said during the D8 conference, people are voting with their wallets (he was referring to the iPad sales, but that logic applies in this case as well)

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Apple gave everyone an out. Return the phone if you don't like it. There are multiple great phones on the market right now.

7. Sinfire macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 does not have this problem, so I can't see how you can say that every iPhone 4 has this issue with 1 finger. If that was the case, I am sure most of the 3 million people would have returned their phones by now and not sat around waiting.

8. zerocustom1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I never noticed an increase like that, but I never had a problem in a '4 bar' area anyway. Only 3 or less and a case fixes it. It's interesting that in those figures, though the UL speed did drop considerably. I doubt the test was also done repeatedly to get a decent spread of data.

Yea I won't be returning It, I just dont like being treated like a fool.

9. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Take it back and get one of the ones he showed in the video that drops to one bar that according to you doesn't drop data. Problem solved and you aren't a part of Steves assumed stupid audience.

10. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Steve's speech was indeed marketing PR. Fix a problem without admitting it was a problem. But they're a company and that's what companies do.

A case however, is a real fix. (especially for the "problem" he obviously avoided)

I know that is a piss poor option for some folks. It is a freaking beautiful phone with its stacked glass and stainless steel band. I understand not wanting to wrap that up. (even though as a truck driver I must wrap mine in a case, regardless)

If it makes you feel any better, I think this phone was designed to use a "bumper", but was instead sold "naked" due to Jobs deciding it looked way better that way. Point is, were it not for that aesthetic decision, people today would probably just be griping about how they had to settle with a Black/Black iP4 instead of the Black/Orange or whatever they wanted.

Not sure if that helps, but there it is.

Sean

11. zerocustom1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea that would be my third iphone 4. The first one was never able to activate do to a faulty sim reader. (The people in the genius bar should know me by name now) It's just so hard to tell in the store if the model that i'm getting fixes the issue. I'll wait for a more noticeable hardware difference to appear and then head over.

Does anyone have a customer relations email? Do they even exist? It's actually more related to my MBP than the iphone.

12. DeathChill macrumors 68000

It's funny that you ask if the same thing happens to any other phone... I have been testing Speed Test on my 3G and if I hold it in my right hand in a normal position all data flow stops. I've had this phone for two years and not once noticed this, so I am going to give the iPhone 4 a shot.

13. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

What more do you want them to say? Keep in mind that that Apple is a business. First and foremost todays PC was a PR move, damage control nothing more. It seems like a lot of people want Jobs to come out and say "The phone has a flawed design and we can't fix it." Then what follows that? I'll tell you, the exact same thing - Your options are to buy a case or it return it. Sure, saying that would be more honest but the end result is no different for the user. In the end the consumer decides based on if the phone is usable. If the phone had a real problem you'd return it but you're keeping it. Seems like you're just complaining.

14. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

I was saying get a blackberry or droid...