My PS3 just turned "yellow" on me...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

:(

So what now? Any way to save what's on that hard drive, game saves etc.? My last backup was a while back...

I've seen instructions to repair the Yellow Light problem. How complicated is this? Feasible for a "normal" person?

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

You could probably pull the drive and put it in a new PS3 if that's the direction you choose. Sony will repair it for $150 according to this forum.

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

New PS3 won't read the old hard drive, it will format it first.

I found a few small shops in town that will repair it, cost ranging up to €100. Kinda spektical about how long it will last after that though... I'll Probably get it repaired, do a full backup and pick up a slim model. Hopefully I'll get a good deal on the slim that's being discontinued now, don't want that ugly-ass toploader...

4. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Question: If I do a full hard drive backup and then restore on a new console...is it going to be a "complete" transfer of everything? Or do I still lose something as opposed to when I do a use/data transfer via cable between two consoles?

I'd prefer the backup version, because then I wouldn't have to get a new 320GB hard drive.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Was that a fatty ps3? It almost just might be better to send it in to sony for a slim ps3, they might still be offering the special to replace it for a slim for only 100-150.

The yellow light is usually caused by the gpu malfunctioning due to poorly applied thermal paste, or the thermal paste drying up over time. The smaller ps3s have lower tdp output, so the issue won't be as likely to happen over time with them.

6. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it's the Euro 60GB launch model.

If I do this, can they put all the data from my hard drive onto the new one?

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

You know, I'm not too sure. When I had mine swapped out, I didn't really have any rpg or single player heavy games saved on my ps3, just multiplayer games, so I didn't consider transferring my data.

You might call them up on the issue, or see if there's a way to back-up your hard drive. I think you can back up your game saves with psn+, but that does cost money of course.

8. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, here's my plan of action for this week:

1.) Get my PS3 repaired.

2.) Buy a new 320GB "old" slim PS3

3.) Transfer all data over to the slim

4.) Do a factory reset on the old one

5.) Sell the phat lady on ebay

I just don't trust the phat one to be reliable in the long run after having YLOD'd and been repaired once. Don't use the media card slots or backwards compatibility either, so it's not a huge loss, really. And now is the time to pick up a slim model, before those ugly toploaders take over all the store shelves.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You should take it to GS, they are giving double in store credit for them. They are also taking broken ones as long as the warranty sticker is not broken on your PS3. Less hassle and you can start playing again that same day.
    EDIT: Realized you don't live in the US. You can call sony warranty and they should replace it w/a slim model for $150 since that is what they seem to be doing lately w/ people w/ fat ones., but you won't get your data back any way you slice it.

10. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Need my data on the hard drive, no way around that.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Then you have to take it to a specialty shop and get it fixed instead of sony. Reading through the posts, it seems you have already sent it to fix once, so this time it might be gone for good. And if the first time it was fixed outside of Sony then sony won't take it for replacement.

12. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

This is the first time it broke down. Found a shop in town that does repairs. That's where I'll take it, then transfer my data to the new slim, then sell the repaired one for whatever it's worth.

13. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Is your phatty ps2 backwards compatible? I might be interested...

14. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

They said it was a 60GB EU model, so that means partial backwards compatibility. Yes, I am still incredibly bitter about the fact that Sony pulled the full set of chips just prior to launch, yet still charged me £425.

I'm worried my launch model will die too :(

15. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

It's the Euro 60GB launch model, so, like peskaa stated, it's still backwards compatible, but not all games work equally well. There are lists on the web, I believe...

It's in the shop right now, getting the "reballing" repair treatment. Costs a little more, but is supposedly the only solution that makes it last a considerable amount of time. The shop guarantees six months, anyways, free repairs if it breaks down again during that time.

If anyone's interested, I'm located in Berlin, Germany.

16. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Got the phatty back today. Running fine, six months warranty on the repair. 69€ for that seems like a fair price to me. :)

Transferring data to the slim right now...approx. 4 hours to go. :rolleyes:

So far, so good!

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that seems reasonable... I still have a US launch console, but if that bites the dust, i'm not sure ill be able to get it repaired due to the fact I imported it..

How is the euro launch model backwards compatible ? I have a euro launch one also but never tried ps2 games on it. I though it was removed from euro launch.

Not that I use backwards compatibility on either, i'm just interested :)

18. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The EU model has the Graphics Synthesizer chip from the PS2, but lacks the Emotion Engine chip that would make up a full PS2 hardware set. This means that PS2 games are partially software emulated, rather than being run on native hardware.

Basically, some games work, others don't. PSone support is far better though, as that is software on all models since the start.

19. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If they truly did 'reballing' then it should last basically forever. That price looks more like reflow instead of reballing though.

I had the 60GB US full BC fatty, took it to get professionally reflowed w/ IR & changed the fan for a faster one (No one does reballing where I live). The fix worked great & I sold it here last year and bought a slim because I wanted the portability.

21. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, Reballing is what he did. Even took photos of the process.

For a Reflow, he would have charged €35.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ok what's a reballing? Is it something I get down the docks doing favours for sailors ?

23. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, it's something to pass the time while the Madam repairs your PS3! ;)

24. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

http://ps3repairman.com/ps3-repair-services/ps3-reballing-service