My purchased apps. on wife's new Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KellyC, Oct 30, 2012.

1. KellyC macrumors member

I just ordered a 13 in. MBA for my wife. Is it possible to put the apps. I've purchased for my 13 in. MBA on her machine but still allow her to set up and use her own identity... eg. icloud/apple id, etc?

She has an iphone, ipad, and with her new MBA I'd forsee her starting to use icloud frequently to share work/to-dos/emails across the three devices. I want her to maintain her own little workflow/ecosystem but I'd like to at least get my puchased apps. onto her machine so we don't have to re-buy them.

Any suggestions/workflows to do this?

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

You can install the apps on upto 5 machines,

For a lot of Apps you can:

1.) In the Apps store on your wife mac sign out from her Apple ID and sign in with yours. (or the ID that bought the app.)

2) Once you have done this, click on the “Purchases” tab. Here you will see all of the apps that were purchased with your Apple ID.

You can down load them from here.

re-log in with her ID when you're done.

(I believe they won't show updates unless you log into the app store with your ID when there's an update)

3. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Does the apps on 5 machines apply with iOS devices as well? And what if you want to download them onto more than 5, do you have deactivate the previous machines?

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I think the licensing agreement from apple stays 10 in total, 5 being computers and 5 iOS for cross platform programs.

If you have exceeded this you may need to deactivate an old machine, though I'd only do this if there was a problem.

5. KellyC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. This was very helpful. The new MBA should arrive next week. Obviously I'm more excited about it than my wife is. :apple:

6. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

They show the updates for each Apple ID, but you have to sign in and out for each account in order to actually dl and install the upgrades