My quest for more volume update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clayk, Jul 18, 2007.

1. clayk macrumors member

I thought I would post an update on my speakerphone volume issue. I arranged for Apple to send me a loaner. It arrived today. I have a sound level meter so I took some measurements. My current ringtone is “Old Phone”. At maximum volume the speaker puts out 89 db. I then called time and temperature, set the speakerphone to max volume and it measured 66 db.

The loaner phone from Apple measures exactly the same. So I am now skeptical that the volume can be increased, but I am still hopeful. I will test the “fixed” phone when it returns and post the results.

On a side note, I convinced Apple to waive the $29 fee for the loaner. It took a while, but I just kept talking (very politely of course) pointing out that it was a bad policy and they finally relented.

I also tested the sound level of my old Razr. Ringtone was 98db and speakerphone was 88db.

2. clayk thread starter macrumors member

I got my phone back this morning. They really just sent me a new one. It is a bit louder. Ringtone was 97 db (up from 89db) and speaker phone was 78db.

Clay

3. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

So the speaker phone went down?

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What is the distance of measurement, sound meter brand, A or C weighted and room parameters?

5. clayk thread starter macrumors member

The volume of the speaker phone went up, from 69 to 78

The distance was very close, about 10 inches. I kept it the same distance on both tests. I realize that is much closer than you would use the phone, but I am comparing Apples to Apples. The room was fairly quiet, the radio shack meter I used registered 54 db background noise. The weighting was set on "C" but I have no idea what that means.

Clay