My question about warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Screwball, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Screwball macrumors regular

I'm planning on buying an MBP in a few weeks, and wondering, wether I will still have my MBP under warranty after getting the original HD replaced with an SSD drive, but in an Apple Store by a certified Apple tech?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

They won't do it. That drive's not available, even as a BTO option, for the MBP, even if they did drive upgrades.

3. Screwball thread starter macrumors regular

What I meant by "SSD drive" was a drive purchased seperately.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

They still won't do it. Actually, since it came from out of the Store, they'll be fairly adamant about it. If you are not up to doing it yourself, find a local authorized Apple service shop.

Installing the drive is not a warranty buster, but damaging anything in the process is, in a DIY scenario. Having an authorized facility do it retains the warranty.

All that being said, putting an SSD in a MBP in & of itself may void the warranty, as it's possibly not considered a proper replacement drive. I stress may. It could be a non-issue for Apple, but you need to contact AppleCare for a determination. Nobody on the forums is likely to have an answer, though they'll have lots of opinions.

5. Screwball thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I think I'm going to ask my nearest Apple Service then! I hope they'll be able to swap it while retaining the warranty at the same time! Thanks once again