My quick one month MBPtb review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n8236, Jan 25, 2017.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

Coming from a mid-2012 rMBP, this is my short one month review of my new MBPtb.

Pro:
    - smooth as butter
    - form factor is awesome
    - screen makes retina look ancient
    - speakers (though still crap) are miles better than the even crappier ones from last gen
    - touchbar (still too early) is actually pretty nice - needs adoption from use

Con:
    - trackpad finger vs palm detection needs work
    - hinge to hold up screen feels weak weaker than last gen
    - battery life still comparable as previous gen. sucks.
    - keyboard feels nice but sounds clicky

2. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

I've had mine for 17 days now, and can concur with your pro's.

Concerning the con's, though, I've got to say I'm quite pleased with palm rejection on my MBP. Maybe it took some getting used to, but the way I'm typing I hardly ever have problems with it.

Battery life has been very good; I unplug the laptop in the morning, and plug it in late afternoon / evening, depending on what I've been doing with it, with time to spare.

Last, but not least, I'm fully in love with the keyboard. I was getting my old (2010) MBP ready to sell, and typing on the keyboard was, well, interesting. Like tapping on marshmallow, as was said by someone better with words than myself on these forums some time ago.

3. SoloXis macrumors newbie

I actually love the clicky keyboard, and that they're bigger than my 2011 MBP. I can type faster with less mistakes.

Battery life is fantastic. It lives up to the promised 10hrs when I'm just using integrated graphics. This is almost twice as long as my previous so I'm happy.

I agree on the hinge though. With the thinner form factor, it's not very reassuring. I take great care not to bend it beyond the max.

Let me add one more to the cons list: USB-C needs to mature, FAST. Some USB-C hubs are still far from being stable and there're too much confusion between USB2.0 vs USB3.0 vs USB3.1 especially when all such hubs are able to use the same USB-C connector.

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Haven't noticed any palm issues. I agree with the part about the loud keyboard. I have now had comments from people 3 different times while taking notes in a meeting about how loud it is.

5. n8236, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

I do like the speed in which I am able to type with this new keyboard, but the clicky sound during meetings or in quiet areas do sure grab unintended attention.

Maybe I'm not typing in a correct position where it's causing the trackpad to mis-read my palm vs finger. I'll give that one more time and see what happens.

I have a full cover from I-Blason and while it's not that heavy, the screen droops/weighs down much easier than I expect it to, leading me to feel like the hinge is weaker than last gen's. There's not issue when it's up, so I'm just being nit picky lol.

I have the rectangular Anker usb-c hub and while I haven't tried the full spectrum of usb sources, I haven't had issue w/ the typical ones. It does feel slow to catch on.

My company is going to have a Hell of a time w/ this usb-c story. We run a 2k people shop which half of are Mac users. It's going to be adapters-galore in every conference room and desk lol.

I wonder why my battery life is the same as before. I have a VM suspended, but that shouldn't use much resource in that state. I watch one online show for 45 mins and I'm down to 60%.