My quicklook is broken and gives me an error!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jolej17, Apr 25, 2014.

1. jolej17 macrumors newbie

Hi there!

So over the past few days the quickload feature in finder has stopped working for me. When ever I highlight a file and hit the spacebar quicklook loads but not as usual. In the case of trying to load an MP3, no music plays and only a small image of it appears. The same goes for all images and every other type of viewable file. It also gives me the error: "An error occured with the preview of this document." Here are two photos so you can see: PIC1 PIC2

Before I posted this I tried to resolve it with good old google, I found numerous articles telling me to delete the quickload preference files in the preferences folder of User/System/Library/Preferences. I have deleted those, but still nothing has worked. I have also repaired my disk permissions several times, the only thing is I have replaced my CD drive with an SSD and everything is running out that drive, I just keep regular files on the HD. So PLEASE, I would really like some help because I deal with quicklook tons and can't go on without it. Thank you guys!

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

you've rebooted of course...? try disk utility, run first aid...
    usually a reboot helps.

3. jolej17 thread starter macrumors newbie

First off, thank you for the reply! If by rebooting you mean restart the computer then yes I have, unless there is a different function for rebooting it. I have repaired the disk permissions with first aid but the issue with that is I am running my Operating Sytem on an SSD that replaced my disk drive and I use my HD for documents and all other things. So my system library is split up in between those disks, for example I have two preferences folder, one in SSD>Library>Preferences and on in HD>Library>Preferences. Let me know if you'd like me to explain this more, it's kind of messy. Thanks!

4. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

hmm. more than messy, that looks wrong. the system should ONLY be on the main drive. other files (docs, music, pics, etc etc) can be on the second drive.

but i think you've got a problematic setup if your system files are duplicated, or split between drives.

if you look in those folders, are there duplicate files? what other system files are on both drives?

anyone else want to chime in on this?

5. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

When Quicklook starts acting up, I find rebuilding the Launch Services database often helps. I use the following Applescript to do that:
    Code:
    -- Rebuild Launch Services DB
    --BP2013
    --Modified from:
    -- Adam Bell 2013
    -- http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=40534

say "begin"
    set flushLaunchSvcDB to "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user"
    do shell script flushLaunchSvcDB
    delay 1
    do shell script "killall Finder"
    say "done"

6. jolej17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is very strange but I just confirmed that both drives have their own system library on them. There are no duplicate files on either of them. Here are two pics to show you. They have similar folders, but no duplicate contents. HD Photo SSD Photo

----------

Hey thanks for the response! Is this a command that I run in terminal? If so, it did not work :(

7. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

the HD has your home library, that's fine. and the system is on the SSD...
    so it's something else with quicklook.

rebooting fixed this for me a few weeks ago. meanwhile, google 'rebuild launch services' if the above command didn't work for you (in terminal)...

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

It's an AppleScript. Open up the "AppleScript Editor", in your Applications/Utilities folder, paste in the code in and run it.

9. jolej17 thread starter macrumors newbie

It sadly did not work :/ Anyone have any other ideas?

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and run the code (and press Return after your paste):

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
    See if this helps, Good Luck.

11. jolej17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, although it did not work :/

12. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

contact apple...(just a thought). otherwise, sounds like a system re-install may be necessary... research it a bit (even here on these forums) before proceeding. backup first!

13. jolej17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Will do

14. jolej17 thread starter macrumors newbie

15. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

what OS are you running anyway??
    you could:
    1. back EVERYTHING up
    2. run the COMBO update from apple's support page for your OS...

try that first... (just a suggestion)...

16. jolej17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on Mavericks 10.9.2! I'm currently backing everything up. Although I have tried to run the combo updater before and it would not run... :/ But it looks like I'm just going to do a nice re-install like this http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3878