My rant with Apple (Classic Environment Support)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jrock2004, Jun 14, 2008.

1. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

I moved from Windows cause I was tired of upgrading and thought getting an apple would solve this. I feel I was wrong. grant you the biggest issue is with games that are mac compatible but get this classic environment stuff. Now not only would I have to downgrade the OS but I would have to get an older mac. Why in the heck did apple do this? Am I the only one that is complaining about this? I believe apple is forcing people to use newer stuff and say screw old stuff. I would like to hear some comments about this.

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

apple has gone through a major transition from OS9 to OSX, and from PPC chips to Intel chips, it's just not feasable to maintain legacy code.

its really not hard to check the system requirements on games, if you have a farily new mac, you will want games that runs on OSX and Intel macs.

a similar argument is complaining that a game written for windows 95 does not run on windows vista. i can't reference particular games that this applies to, but i promise you that they are out there.

it must be pretty old games that you are having issues with. if you let us know what they are, maybe someone can help you with getting them up and running, if possible.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I agree. I bought a PS3 to play some old Playstation 1 games. Turns out you can't!

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i broke my wii putting cartridges from the n64 in the slot... :rolleyes:

seriously OP, let us know what you are having trouble running, and we will try our best to help

5. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I don't think you are going to find much sympathy for your "rant" here. Apple officially stopped development of OS 9 (the "Classic" environment you speak of) over 6 years ago. 3 years ago they announced they would stop selling PowerPC-based computers (capable of running classic with OS). Classic support (even on PowerPC computers) was dropped last year with the release of OS X Leopard.

Apple has gone through two major transitions in the last decade. The move from OS 9 to the entirely different, unix-flavored architecture of OS X, and the move from the lagging PowerPC chips to the x86-based Intel chips. Both of these transitions have effectively wiped the slate clean and allowed newer, more advanced technology and frameworks take over. However, Apple has always provided several years (if not longer) of transitions support (i.e., classic support for 5 years, up until Tiger and now PowerPC support via Rosetta emulation). This has accommodated those that require the old platform, but prevented the Mac OS from becoming stagnant and bloated with legacy support and code like Windows (which must remain backwards compatible to Windows 3.1-era programs in order to satisfy corporate customers).

So yes, apple is encouraging people to use newer stuff, but, they are certainly not forcing you to. There is nothing stopping someone from buying an older PowerPC based computer for programs that need it, or running OS X Tiger or earlier if they need Classic support. Unfortunately for you, that is such a small segment of the population that, personally, I am glad Apple is not smothering the advancement of technology so a handful of people can play OS 9 games from 10 years ago on a modern Mac with 8-core processors and 16 GB of RAM.

The transition to OS XI (likely in the early part of the next decade) will in all likely hood bring a new situation like this. If this type of upgrade cycle is not to your liking, I hear that Microsoft is working on some table computer.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I like playing that game Asterax, but couldn't use it on Leopard, so I installed Tiger on an external drive.

8. jrock2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

what games were you having trouble with?

10. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

I would like to ask that this topic doesnt make you instantly think "wow the rumors of an apple fanboy are true... you really cant say somethin negative without being proven wrong a hundred times". That is something I hear alot and it bothers me becauses it not true.. I could simply say to them "Wow the rumors of apple anti-fanboy are true... you cant say anything positive about Apple without being called an apple fanboy"

Anyways i just wanted to ask you to not create an impression on everyone just over this.

11. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I have sheepshaver running on my intel mac... unfortunately it's not fast enough to play nanosour 1 which I miss dearly, but it does work. I have fond memories of mac os 9...

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well windows is the OS with all the legacy support. not OS X; Apple have been known to push forward sooner than everyone else in fact.

but sheepshaver and some other methods might allow you to get what you need, or there might be a OS X compatible alternative way or running what you need/want. but you have to tell us what first if you want that much help.

13. jrock2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the games I am trying to play are like diablo 2 and sim city 2000. I know there old but I like them. I understand with my statement I will get flamed but it is ok. I am ok

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

try to be a bit open minded. people aren't going to flame you for wanting to play older stuff, but when you don't say exactly what you're looking for and get bitter when we can't help you, its to be expected. at least thats how it came across. nothing harsh or mean intended, its hard to tell on forums like this sometimes, just remember that.

now onto your problem. sim city 2000 i have no clue about. but Diablo 2 has a native OS X installer that you can download to install in. i don't know how well it runs on Leopard since it has to be emulated in rosetta since its still PPC code, but it should work. you can find the patch/installer on blizzard's site.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

16. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

I can't speak for Leopard, but in Tiger Diablo II seems to function pretty well. There's actually some setting you have to change so it won't freeze at the starting menu, but once you've gotten that out of the way, it runs smoothly.

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um...

SimCity 2000 is what, eight years old? Come on, man. Buy a used mac, install OS9 and have at it.

18. Jenheta macrumors regular

I have a Macbook and an G5 iMac.
    Despite the fact I do not like to see my iMac being put aside step-by-step by Apple, it is still quite useful as a terminal and my wife has some scrapbooking software on it.

My suggestion to OP : get an older mac.

I would not mind offering mine but I have no idea what would be a reasonable price ;)

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It would be interesting to see the demand out there for Mac OS 9.

I am sure that it is shrinking by the day, but some of us still use it to run older software that is not currently available.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're honestly also getting flamed because people have offered you a number of solutions that you've completely ignored, and instead of actually looking into or commenting on the solutions, you're just complaining. You've replied twice since Sheepsaver has been suggested and a walkthrough was linked and you've completely ignored the suggestion.

I'll try once more. If Sheepsaver is not a realistic possibility for you, and you own Windows licenses to these games, then certainly one other very good option is for you to just play these games in Windows in Parallels or VMWare or the like.

There, you have multiple options to get what you want. If all you want to do is complain, then go ahead.....

21. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Buy an old G3 bondi blue Imac , or G3 B&W for 50.00 or so & run classic all day long. Problem solved. I found a Bondi Blue Imac 233 in the garbage last year. I loaded my Classic disc on it & run macmane when I feel like playing arcade games.
    My son also plays with macpaint & stuff like that.

22. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Diablo 2 works on OS X. Get the current version from Blizzard's Battle.net. I've been re-playing it the past month.