My real world experiences and tips

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Crosspjc, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Crosspjc macrumors member

I don't understand how people find the OS Unintuitive. Everything is logical. Day three of owning it:

a) I have set it up in the app so that I only get alerts from people on my VIP email list. This ensures that I don't get notifications from spam. I hadn't used VIP before but this makes sense now.

b) I have changed the settings so that the app stays open when the screen turns off (this is very important with Nike running app)

c). I have been very selective as to what glances I have turned on.

The watch has worked perfectly for me and has meant that I look less at my iPhone from a compulsive point of view. It was a novelty paying at Starbucks with it (I'm in the UK so no Apple pay yet).

However it really came in to its own tonight. I went out for a run later than I was intending on a new route. Nike app worked flawlessly with a force touch to pause it and your pace etc coming up when lifting the watch. See settings above.

It got dark and I got lost on country roads with no street lights. A quick double tap on the digital crown I was in apps and selected maps. Found out where I was. Force touch again and I chose myself from contacts and had directions home.

I was going to be half hour longer so I pressed the side button and selected my wife. Called her from the watch no hassle. Then did the additional three miles home (12.5 miles in the end!). I got loads of achievements from Apple activity app though :)

Anyway the moral of my "cool story bro" is don't expect the watch to change your life but set it up properly and it will make things easier.

Some pics attached

Attached Files:

2. Crosspjc thread starter macrumors member

Sorry not sure how to multiple pics in one post

Attached Files:

3. Crosspjc thread starter macrumors member

And another

Attached Files:

4. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Did you start the a workout from the workout app to get credit for exercise? Or did the Nike+ app give the credit?

5. Crosspjc thread starter macrumors member

I just started the Nike app. I set the parameters (9 miles) on the phone and then started it on the watch. This still gave me the awards from the work out app.

6. ohsnaphappy macrumors regular

ohsnaphappy

You could also say "hey siri where am i right now" to see where you are on the map. Then say "hey siri i need direction home" and finally "hey siri call my wife." I've trained myself to use Siri pretty well in anticipation of the watch. Anything that girl can do for me, I'm going to make her do it, haha The less digital crown the better?

7. mathewbhavnani macrumors member

I don't usually feel very comfortable wearing the watch when I go to the gym(the handlebars of the treadmill get in the way and when I swing my arms, they can easily hit handlebars)....I do bring my iPhone so I'm wondering if the activity app will function just the same? And sync up with the watch when it is in range? Or do I have to wear the watch for the activity app to work?

Also when using weather as a complication on watch face, I heard it keeps location services on at all times on the phone therefore draining battery, as opposed to when it isn't a complication and location services aren't on at all times.....is this true?

What about power reserve? Does it still track activity? What does it mean? What can the watch do and NOT do in this mode?

I noticed that activity app only really does anything when you wear the watch...so if I have my phone in my pocket at the gym and not my watch on me, the activity app just does not do anything in terms of moving or exercising or standing....

I thought data would sync up when the iPhone was in range of the watch... But it doesn't