My recent Apple Store Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by palmerc2, Aug 8, 2014.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Just thought I'd share my awesome experience...

As a back story, around November 2013 my Sleep / Wake button on my iPhone 5 broke, I was out it warranty, and was willing to live with it and just use Assistive Touch to Sleep the phone. Then a month later my Lightning Port started acting up where the cord had to be levereged into the port. I did this by wrapping the cord around the phone to maintain a certain angle or else it wouldn't charge. Finally in April I could no longer charge it no matter what I tried and ended up using my iPhone 4 I still had. On iOS7 it was slowwwwww. I have a Europe trip coming up and I really didn't want to be across the world on a bogged down phone.

So I decided to try my luck of getting the Sleep / Wake button fixed out of warranty that Apple is offering as a free repair, and telling them I'd pay to fix the lighting port. They said it can't be done and the entire phone needs to be replaced at around $270 which I didn't want to pay for. The Apple Genius looked in the port and told me she saw some dirt in the port and would try to clean it out. She was back there for a good 15 minutes and came out working 100%! Man, I was grateful! So then it got sent out for repair to fix the Sleep / Wake button and was using their iPhone 5 loaner.

A week later, I had my actual iPhone 5 back. After bringing it home I realized just lightly pressing on the bottom left of the screen would make the display get irritated / ripple under pressure. I'm not sure of the actual term..... While I'd most likely not drop the phone, I felt the structural integrity of the phone was compromised. Where if I bumped against a wall, it could crack the display. So I brought it back next day and showed it to them, they said they stand behind their work and replaced the entire phone at no charge. Very happy!

Really awesome when I'd been using a difficult to use 5, then a verrrrry slowwww 4, then to a brand new 5 for free out of warranty

This whole experience makes me wonder exactly what kind of dirt gets into my pocket though hehe :confused:

2. akhilleus macrumors member

I often find little bits of pocket lint in my charging port, especially after washing a pair of jeans. And if I'm out doing yard-work, it's bits of rock and dirt and grass.

Best bet is to just avoid having your phone on you when you're doing that type of work. Or ya know, a case...

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Never mind your lightning port, check out the fluff in your belly button sometime...

4. cynics macrumors G4

Glad they got you all taking care of! Its does suck you had to go through the hassle of 2 defective iPhones. Hopefully your new one is trouble free.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I know the pocket is the choice for most but pockets are nasty!

6. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

And this is one of many reasons why apple is good. The service is unparalleled.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Friend of mine had the same issue with his 5. Wouldn't charge. Took it to the store and they cleaned out his lighting port with the sim tool remover. He felt like a right idiot.

8. lambo macrumors regular

lol I was expecting the story to head south with you getting screwed over somehow!! Haha good to hear man

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

A very reasonable outcome.

One of the reasons I continue to buy into Apple. :D

Well done.

10. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Had the lint in the lightning port last year and I posted about it. Not an uncommon problem. Wireless charging would fix that, but.....

11. rman0726 macrumors regular

It's amazing how few people take their exceptional service into account. I know so many people paying monthly insurance and paying crazy deductibles with their other phones. Yet Apple just takes care of you, in or out of warranty.

I dropped my iPad Mini a couple weeks after I bought it and popped out of the official Apple case. And it got a crack in the corner. I was obviously upset as I had it in the official iPad case. I brought it in and they of course said "oh, hairline fractures should not happen like that." and they got me a brand new iPad mini. And of course they replaced the case that they decided was defective because it shouldn't have popped out like that.

Yup it cost me $170 more than had I bought a Nexus 7. But had I bought that Nexus 7, I'd be down $460 for the cost of two Nexus 7's.

12. cynics macrumors G4

How do you know that? I had a galaxy nexus replaced out of warranty.

Taking in good service into account is one thing, predicting events that never happened to you is another.

13. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

So what version of an apple store with their customer service does the competition have then? My iPad Air had an issue, they replaced it no problem and gave me a gift card on top of that. I dropped my rmini, replaced no problem.

14. rman0726 macrumors regular

I can take a picture of my Nexus 5 that Google refused to do a damn thing about. Other than of course giving me the phone number to call LG.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The guy was simply pointing out that other companies do repairs too. It's impossible to predict that the Nexus 7 would have broken under the same circumstances and that they wouldn't repair it (or if they did what exaclty they would charge, which is likely not the cost of an entire new device).

I have had Apple tell me I had to pay for a replacement. It as on the iPhone 4. Launch night. Ran it through the wash with my jeans. They felt bad for me so they knocked $100 off the replacement. The point is that i still had to pay. Replacing a cracked screen for free is not the norm, even for Apple.

----------

Microsoft store is actually pretty good. They even have something identical to Apple Care plus (I do not recall the name currently).