My Recent MBP Repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techlover828, Nov 2, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

For the second time my mbp went to the apple repair depot, for the same problem. My laptop was gone for a week. It was having keyboard and trackpad lockups and kernal panics. So, this time they replaced the keyboard, the logic board, the trackpad, and the metal casing around the keyboard and trackpad. Using it for a few hours I haven't had any of the original problems I was having before. But, something I did notice right away, was a scratch on the metal casing they replaced. It's pretty notable, not deep, but a definite scratch. I try to keep my computer in good shape, so it's really bugging me. It's right where I would put my left hand while typing. Am I being to picky or do you think that it's a little ridiculous. Feel feel free to say the former.

2. unitethenations macrumors member

I would not say you're being picky considering that the machine cost >$2000. I'd phone apple and ask if they can reimburse you for it somehow (extend applecare, free mouse, etc) if you don't want to lose it again to get that part replaced because it's scratched.

3. RJones macrumors newbie

They should have just given you a new laptop if they were going to replace all those parts imho. I would be pissed if they scratched my computer and would definitely call and get it fixed.

4. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'd agree with your first statement, I wish they could have just replaced it.

5. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Wow, you're having the exact same problems that I'm having, and I got my MBP back with a latch that won't work.

Mine was a SR.

6. r88my macrumors regular

7. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ok, so it gets worse, after further inspection, the metal strip between the button to open the laptop and the actual latch, is like pushed out. So, I took a few pics to show you guys, I tried to take good ones, but it didn't turn out so well. :eek:

I'm calling apple in an hour or so, what do you think I should ask for or whatever?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ok, I just called apple and they want me to bring it back to the applestore for yet another repair. This is ridiculous. It's like 50 miles round trip, aka 2 gallons of gas. I've been there like 5 times in the last 4 weekends between my laptop and ipod. I'm angry right now.. :mad: <--- (shown for emphasis)

9. Bwilky macrumors regular

You need to be firm with them if you want a replacement.

10. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya, not a strong point for me. maybe I'll have my dad call.

11. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ok, this is ridiculous, another problem came up, on the left side of the computer, to the left of the speakers, that strip of whatever it is (plastic maybe?) must be flared up, because when you push on it, it goes down.

Kinda hard to explain but another fairly major defect.

12. six.four macrumors 6502

I have the EXACT same issue with mine. I should really take it in to get it checked out because it is pretty annoying - mine comes out a bit more than yours. I searched around the forum, seems like it is a common problem as others seem to have the same problem as well.

I also have an issue with my power button. Half of it is sunk into my computer - and I definitely don't press it that hard (in fact, it barely gets used at all since I usually just put my computer to sleep).

I'll probably bring it in to the apple store tomorrow.