My Refurb Story

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AndyM, Jan 18, 2008.

1. AndyM macrumors member

Thought i would post this for anyone who might be interested in refurbished macs.

I had been looking for a macbook pro for a while, and finally decided to go for one. I was very cautious, i didn't want any dead pixals and i wanted to ensure i didn't get a duff one.

With money being a bit tight, and i couldn't really justify paying £1,599 for the 2.4ghz, i opted for the refurb option.

First then i did when i received it was check the screen, no dead pixals. When i continued to look, i also had 4gb of ram.

I calculated up how much it would normally cost for this mac, £2049.99! I brought it for £1,300.

Very impressed with the refurb store. My mac has no scratches on, and its looks brand new!

2. jdr70 macrumors newbie

Good to hear. I just bought a new imac last week and it came down to saving a hundred bucks on the refurb they had. Could not do it though. My wife was looking at me like i was crazy when i was going back and forth with the salesman.

3. Mr. Funsocks macrumors regular

Awesome. I plan to get a refurbished MBP this weekend.

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

4GB ram is only £56 from play.com, but yeah at least if your Refurb Mac came with it installed, any problems can't be blamed on third party ram.

Did you get the original box or the plain brown one with foam insert?

5. AndyM thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i know the ram doesn't cost £400, but was just going by apple prices.

It came in a simple brown box, with "certified refurbished" wrote on it. It had tiger installed and leopard install disk. It also came with the small 85watt battery charger.

I have to admit, i'm really impressed with my macbook pro. It looks and feels 10x better and different than it does in stores.

6. Mr. Funsocks macrumors regular

Did you get the 15" or the 17"? I'm still deciding between the two.

7. AndyM thread starter macrumors member

Going from a 13" macbook, the 15" is massive. If it was any bigger it would be far less portable. Even the 15" isn't that portable. It is really nice though.

17" would be far too big for me.

8. r88my macrumors regular

Sounds like you got a really good deal :)

What was the cosmetic condition of the MBP like? Did it have any scratches/scuffs/marks or other signs of use? I ask because they may be customer returns and so puts me off buying refurbed (although I may be wrong!)

9. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I have a refurb MBP, and it arrived last March in pristine condition. No marks whatsoever that I could see.

And it worked out very well :).

10. r88my macrumors regular

Cool. It would be good if you could see the product before buying (but obviously you can't). I will definitely consider refurbed purchases in the future!

11. applemacman macrumors member

applemacman

I bought my MacBook Pro as a refurb...overall it has served me well and have had no problems.

but...

The case is not perfect...the top cover one of the clips does not go down all the way so there is a little play by the hard drive side...meaning you can push it down and up and it's not solid feeling...not major though

Another thing is I replaced the hard drive and found out that whomever worked on the machine at Apple to get ready to resell was not able to attach the side metal clip to the hard drive to screw to the machine itself

But overall with the savings and these being not major issues I don't regret it.

Since then I bought a refurb. :apple:Tv and it came in an original box with shrink wrap excellent condition (sold this week though)

12. AndyM thread starter macrumors member

It is perfect condition, not scratches or anything.

The battery said it had only had 1 cycle done. All in all, it is a very nice laptop, no faults with it at all.

13. durija macrumors 6502

I work in a small commercial print shop. We got a refurb iMac 20" (pre-Intel) almost two years ago. Right out of the box, it would not boot. Took it to the local Apple store. Had it (or possibly a new one) back the next day. We have had no trouble at all since then. Just got another a couple of months ago and no problems at all. So I am pretty comfortable with the refurbs.

14. Say What?? macrumors member

I've heard that with the 17" you lose a lot of the portibility. Unless you are doing graphic design or something where you definatly need the 17", i'd go with the 15"

15. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

even a 13" is perfect for portability and it feels much more bigger than its size