My replacement iPad... (WiFi, screen differences)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Globetrekkie, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Globetrekkie macrumors newbie

I was getting pretty annoyed with the issue of my iPad "forgetting" the password of my 2Wire WiFi router a few times a day, so I went to the Genius Bar at my local app store to see if they could offer any additional help.

The genius who helped me had no ideas beyond the usual stuff found on the web that I already tried, but he offered to replace the iPad. I though, what the heck, it's probably a software problem, but I'll try out a different unit anyways, just in case.

The replacement iPad came in a brown cardboard box -- just the iPad, no cable or charger. The iPad was wrapped in cellophane.

Well, I've been using the new iPad for 2 days now, and it has not yet "forgotten" my WiFi password. Keeping my fingers crossed... No idea if it's a hardware difference, or just something from having set up the iPad as a brand new device instead of sync'ing my old configs back in.

A few things though... The replacement iPad is model 661-5569LL (different from all other iPad's I've seen), and the serial number starts with "AK" instead of the different range I've seen on most iPads.

The color temperature of the screen is definitely warmer than my previous iPad and the other iPads on display in the store. If you look at a white background, my replacement iPad looks more yellow, and the other iPads look more blue. The color temperature of the new iPad is a little more like how I have my desktop monitor calibrated.

They opened a second replacement iPad from me out of a brown cardboard box, and it had the same warmer screen (i.e., different from the store demos.) I read somewhere that Apple has the iPad panels manufactured by LG, Samsung and Seiko Epson, so this could be the reason for the difference, maybe reflected in the model number?

Anyways, I'm not sure whether a warmer or a colder screen is technically "better", but I think I prefer how photos and videos are displayed on the warmer screen, as it's a little more how I like to color balance my photos for printing on paper.

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

3. pjgeer macrumors member

661-5569LL, is in the service parts number series, interesting.

Pj

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Happy the new one is working out better. I purchased mine on Monday and since have only received the 'connecting' box 2 or 3 times. Hasn't required password re-input. I wonder how much changed in the manufacture process during the first few months.

Mine screen is also more on the warm side, slightly yellow tinted. As far as I can tell it's easier on the eyes. Course the difference is probably negligible on most.

5. srgz, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

srgz macrumors member

So I went down to target today to get the $200 deal for the iPad 1.
    They wouldn't give it to me because my model number is also "661-5569LL"
    What the F!?
    Are we the only two people in the world who have this model?
    When I bought the original iPad 1, it froze while playing back videos.
    So I got an advanced replacement that fixed the problem -- I never thought that it would have a different model number and I never even thought to look at it before.
    But that's what Target looks at if you want to trade it in, and so will all the other places as well.

Can you change the model number somehow by jailbreaking and editing a plist?
    I want my 200 dollars lol.

EDIT:

Restored to 5.1.1, jailbroke, then downloaded "Fake about screen" winterboard theme.
    Changed the model number to "MB292LL/A" - got me my $200 gift card.
    Win! :)