My Return Story

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Neeyul, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Neeyul macrumors member

So, I returned my $1200 i5/8gb/128gb Air, after selling a '11 MBP i5/8b/320 for $800. I couldn't (personally) justify the marginally faster performance for the $400 difference.

So, I printed a return label, gave it to the USPS, and bought another '11 MBP/i5/4g/320 for $650, and upgraded the RAM to 8gb for $55. This machine only has 107 charge cycles on it (compared to the 450-460 my old one had), and I'm "up" $95.

- Geekbench on my Air was 67xx
    + Geekbench on my MBP is 6,042

- WoW/Dreamweaver/Photoshop ran great on the Air.
    + WoW/Dreamweaver/Photoshop runs great on the MBP.

- 12h battery life on the air, 100% capacity, 3 cycles.
    + 6h battery life on the MBP at 93% total battery capacity, 107 cycles.

- Didn't have space for Boot Camp on the Air; had ~50gb left with all my programs and music.
    + Boot Camp Win 8 + Rift runs great; have 205gb left with all my programs and music (and Boot Camp + Rift).

All in all, I'm glad I decided to stay with an '11 MBP. It's a trooper, and I can always install an SSD (or two!) if I reeealy feel like I need that hard disk speed. And, although the battery life on the Air is amazing, I don't see myself ever being on longer than 6h on a battery without access to an outlet.

Hope this bit of pragmatism was informative to someone out there. :p

2. tann macrumors 68000

I think the biggest issue for you though was Bootcamp. I would never recommend someone bootcamping with only a 128gb SSD personally.

Other than that fair enough, seems the pro is more than enough for you and if weight/battery life/SSD isn't as big a deal then great.