Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
What sucks about the Nexus, is that it's so freakin' expensive... It's like $700+ if you import it to the U.S. I'd have to sell both my iPhone 4 AND my iPad 2 to afford it :/ And it'll only be worth like $200 a year from now when the iPhone and Nexus lines are updated.

Neon01

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
What sucks about the Nexus, is that it's so freakin' expensive... It's like $700+ if you import it to the U.S. I'd have to sell both my iPhone 4 AND my iPad 2 to afford it :/ And it'll only be worth like $200 a year from now when the iPhone and Nexus lines are updated.

Keep in mind that you're talking about bleeding edge tech. The phone isn't even available on a single US carrier yet. Give it two months and you'll be able to get one brand new for <$600, I can virtually guarantee that.

I think you're underestimating on the back end too. Also keep in mind that unlocked international phones typically command a decent premium over carrier branded phones. A quick check of ebay's completed listings showed average sale prices in the $275-320 range for used unlocked Nexus S phones. Considering this phone offers more today than that phone did in its day, I would expect sale prices on the Galaxy Nexus to be at least similar in a year.

So yeah, it'll take a dive, but if you play it right, it won't be as bad as you're saying (i.e. $500 loss). Also consider that used prices of iphone 4's are gonna plummet too after the iphone 5 comes out. The same check on ebay only for the iphone 3gs yielded average used sale prices in the ~$150 range. So my guess is that the IP4 will be at or only slightly above that price point after the IP5 releases.

Bottom line is that all tech depreciates badly, though Apple products do usually hold value more, we're facing a larger upcoming release in that camp than in the Android camp, so I could see drops being very similar on both sides.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
iTunes was a huge selling point for me on the iPhone. It meant I could merge my iPod and phone into one, compact device.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I don't mean for this to come off as pro-Google, but I've always seen iTunes as a severe handicap for the Apple line of products. I know a lot of people love it, but I'm not one of them. Frankly, having bought a Macbook Air and two iphones (one for my wife) in the last 2 months, I can tell you that much of my new found enthusiasm for Apple products is because they're moving away from their former iTunes-centric modus operandi. I really feel that Google music is a "killer feature" for Android, but you know what they say - "different strokes..."

Haha. Different strokes it is. Although I love my Galaxy SII, what I miss most about my old iPhones is the iTunes integration. :p The closest I found was DoubleTwist Player but I wasn't too big a fan of that either (plus the computer side software is horrible). I'm currently using Amazon's Music Player.

I tried the Google Music app when it was in beta but didn't like it much. Do you know if it changed much since? I might have to give it another shot!

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
The one thing that i want Apple to change in iOS 6 is making iTunes requirement an option. Let it stay for in case you want a single hub for all media, but make it optional. It doesn't hurt Apple, it doesn't hurt the user, it is all win win in the end. (For example almost all my current media is not from iTunes, i can still load it fine on an iPhone/iPad etc but need iTunes to do so. That is dumb).

Other wise i have no major complaints about iOS at all.

Well i am keeping an eye on 2012 WP7 phones and hoping RIM really delivers with BB 10 in 2012. Other wise once there is a 7-10 hrs usage promising android i might just stay on the droid side for good. So far iOS is winning the usability battle for me but that iTunes makes me mad at times.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
The one thing that i want Apple to change in iOS 6 is making iTunes requirement an option. Let it stay for in case you want a single hub for all media, but make it optional. It doesn't hurt Apple, it doesn't hurt the user, it is all win win in the end. (For example almost all my current media is not from iTunes, i can still load it fine on an iPhone/iPad etc but need iTunes to do so. That is dumb).

Other wise i have no major complaints about iOS at all.

Well i am keeping an eye on 2012 WP7 phones and hoping RIM really delivers with BB 10 in 2012. Other wise once there is a 7-10 hrs usage promising android i might just stay on the droid side for good. So far iOS is winning the usability battle for me but that iTunes makes me mad at times.

2012? Look at the Titan man, it's a beast. Holding it in your hand feels so amazing.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
2012? Look at the Titan man, it's a beast. Holding it in your hand feels so amazing.

Have you used it? How is the camera? If it is as good as the older IP4 one that's good enough for me. What about battery life? Can get upto 6 hrs of screen time?

Only problem is unlike android and iPhone i cannot simply load up avis/mkvs etc without the dreaded zune encoding and play them (android phones usually support it natively or through an app and iOS has apps to do the same). Other wise watching movies in transit on that screen would be nice. There is no app yet like AVplayer etc for WP7.

Hence my comment about the future WP7 phones.

Also i would prefer a 4-4.3 screen size. 4.7 seems too big.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
if I were to buy an android device the Google Nexus one is the only one I would buy because it gets the updates immediately (which is important for security) and it is the most 'hackable' android device (ie you can put new ROMs on it) which means that even after it is not supported by google you still would get updates from the community.

but saying that I'm happy with the iPhone and my N95 for the time being.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Awesome phone, i just wish it was a little smaller in size. It looks to be really big, how well does it fit in the pocket ? Will you be adding a case to this phone ? If so im guessing it will make the phone even bigger.
I wonder if you will miss IOS soon ...

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Don't know if this question was directed at me...

The phone is big but its thin and fits well in the pocket. The what I do like about the size is that it makes it real easy to leave the laptop at home - the screen is big and makes logging into remote sites so easy.

I did drop it yesterday (stupid me) onto a very hard concrete floor but it came through unmarked! Maybe that was the kick in the pants I need to thinking about getting a case!

Awesome phone, i just wish it was a little smaller in size. It looks to be really big, how well does it fit in the pocket ? Will you be adding a case to this phone ? If so im guessing it will make the phone even bigger.

Neon01

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011

My 2c:

Fits in my pocket just fine, actually. Everything I've worn it in - jeans, slacks and suit pants - has done just fine. Honestly - and this is a bit difficult to explain - I prefer it's shape in my pocket a bit more than the iphone. Considering most pockets are long and somewhat narrow, the problem with the iphone is that it's length is almost shorter than the width of a normal pocket, so it can "fall over" in my pocket, and get wedged at an angle, which is uncomfortable. The extra length on the galaxy nexus prevents this from happening, so it (basically) sits vertically in my pocket all the time. I was originally concerned that the curvature of the glass would make it uncomfortable, but it's so slight that you can't tell.

I did add a case already. Though it's sort of a cheapo case, I really only intended it as a stopgap until the more elegant solutions release in the months to come. I paid <$6 for it (with prime shipping) from amazon, and I reviewed it here (under the user name "Movie Nut"):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062V037Q

It hardly affects the thickness of the phone at all. I prefer extremely minimalist cases that basically only provide scratch protection (I rarely, if ever, drop my phone, and I've found Samsungs are extremely well built in that regard), so I'll probably be swapping it for something more svelte eventually.

I've decided to hold onto my iphone 4S for now and use it on occasion, but if I sold it, I think I would occasionally miss iOS, yes.

x986

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
NorCal
Neon, thanx for all the time you have put into your post and the follow ups. I am currently test driving the Skyrocket, and one of my biggest complaints is lack of exterior ringer mute button. Does the Nexus have one?

Neon01

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Neon, thanx for all the time you have put into your post and the follow ups. I am currently test driving the Skyrocket, and one of my biggest complaints is lack of exterior ringer mute button. Does the Nexus have one?

My pleasure. I've gotten a lot of good info from the community before, and I'm happy that I was able to give something - even if it's only my opinions and first hand experience - back for once.

Sadly, the Galaxy Nexus does not have an external ringer mute button. At least, not a permanent mute - you can of course silence each call individually as they come in by pressing one of the buttons instead of answering.

Such a feature is conspicuously lacking from nearly every phone (the iPhone being the notable exception) on the market since the flip phones of several years ago. It's really disappointing, and was extremely refreshing to find on the iPhone.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
My 2c:

Fits in my pocket just fine, actually. Everything I've worn it in - jeans, slacks and suit pants - has done just fine. Honestly - and this is a bit difficult to explain - I prefer it's shape in my pocket a bit more than the iphone. Considering most pockets are long and somewhat narrow, the problem with the iphone is that it's length is almost shorter than the width of a normal pocket, so it can "fall over" in my pocket, and get wedged at an angle, which is uncomfortable. The extra length on the galaxy nexus prevents this from happening, so it (basically) sits vertically in my pocket all the time. I was originally concerned that the curvature of the glass would make it uncomfortable, but it's so slight that you can't tell.

I just LOL'ed at your pocket analysis.

...and I've found Samsungs are extremely well built in that regard)...

Yes, they are so cheap and plasticy that they just bend.

When is the Nexus going to be released?

It's out now on AT&T and T-Mobile. No one knows the Verizon date.

Dang1ing Nuts

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
I just LOL'ed at your pocket analysis.
I have this same problem and agree with him fully.

Yes, they are so cheap and plasticy that they just bend.
Glass and metal doesn't = well built. Visually pleasing? Definitely. I've found the 3GS, Galaxy Nexus, and Galaxy S2 all feel better in my hand then the 4S. 4S feels awkward and like it might slip from my hands with a moderate bump. It's somewhat nerve racking taking it out on the bus.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
It's out now on AT&T and T-Mobile. No one knows the Verizon date.

No it isn't. The people you have seen that have T-Mobile and AT&T that have it imported it (myself included). It has not come out stateside yet, and when it does it will be on Verizon exclusively for an unknown amount of time.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005

Glass and metal doesn't = well built. Visually pleasing? Definitely. I've found the 3GS, Galaxy Nexus, and Galaxy S2 all feel better in my hand then the 4S. 4S feels awkward and like it might slip from my hands with a moderate bump. It's somewhat nerve racking taking it out on the bus.

Precisely, materials do not equal build quality or durability, for e.g. HTC materials feel better than say Samsung, but their build quality (which really is slipping in the past two years) isn't as good as Samsung. The iPhone 4/s materials feel excellent, but it's so fragile that they're not worth it. While Samsung materials feel cheap, their phones have excellent build quality and are extremely durable.

Anyway, finally got to play around with the GN yesterday and have to say I'm impressed. It's the first Samsung phone that I've handled that actually feels completely solid. Oddly, unlike the HTC Titan it's doesn't seem that big. Thats probably because I built it up in my head to be an absolute monster, but it's hard to believe that it's rocking a 4.65 inch screen. I was slightly tempted, but I think I'll hold off to see what Sony are offering next year owing to one or two niggles namely storage and the lack of an FM radio- something that I've really missed over that past three years.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

The Gnex is just too freaking big!

The iPhone feels so much better built than any Samsuck hardware I've ever used. Oh, and why am I having to argue against a tide of Gnex love on a Mac forum? LOL

No it isn't. The people you have seen that have T-Mobile and AT&T that have it imported it (myself included). It has not come out stateside yet, and when it does it will be on Verizon exclusively for an unknown amount of time.

Ok, nitpicky, it's in AT&T's and T-Mobile's own stores, but it's out on the networks. Yes Expansys is importing it, but it's still available in the US to US customers. The Pentaband works just fine in the US on AT&T and T-Mo.

Dang1ing Nuts

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
The Gnex is just too freaking big!
Does everyone that says this have miniature hands or something? When using a smartphone I like to be able to wrap my hand around it to the point that my fingers are coming around one side and my palm is on the other with just my thumb being on the screen area. With the iPhone I have my fingers on the right creeping onto my screen and on the left I have part of my palm creeping onto the screen.

The iPhone feels so much better built than any Samsuck hardware I've ever used. Oh, and why am I having to argue against a tide of Gnex love on a Mac forum? LOL
Again why do people say this? I absolutely love my iPhone but saying "It feels like it's built better" means absolutely nothing. It's not built well. I live in fear of the day I drop this thing and pick it up and one side or the other is cracked and I have seen countless people at my school with cracked screens.

Again not a Gnex lover, in fact I picked the iPhone 4S over the Galaxy Nexus but im not blind to the iPhone's shortcomings and build quality is most certainly one of them.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Ok, nitpicky, it's in AT&T's and T-Mobile's own stores, but it's out on the networks. Yes Expansys is importing it, but it's still available in the US to US customers. The Pentaband works just fine in the US on AT&T and T-Mo.

What I said wasn't nitpicky, what I said was correct. You incorrectly stated the phone was out on those carriers, which it is not. And I'm well aware of the importing (hence why I said that in my first response...), and I'm well aware it works on US hspa bands...I use it every day...
SN: Nothing wrong with you being wrong, but trying to clean it up and twist it up so you can be correct isn't right.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Do you mean NOT in?

Yup.

Does everyone that says this have miniature hands or something?

I have larger than average everything, and the iPhone is the perfect size. 4" is pushing it, anything bigger is TOO big.

What I said wasn't nitpicky, what I said was correct. You incorrectly stated the phone was out on those carriers, which it is not. And I'm well aware of the importing (hence why I said that in my first response...), and I'm well aware it works on US hspa bands...I use it every day...
SN: Nothing wrong with you being wrong, but trying to clean it up and twist it up so you can be correct isn't right.

That's just because we are so trained in this country to get our phones from the carriers themselves that something can't be "out on" the carriers if it's not sold at THEIR stores, and sold at someone's else's store. It was out, it just was out at a different store.

Dang1ing Nuts

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
I have larger than average everything, and the iPhone is the perfect size. 4" is pushing it, anything bigger is TOO big.
If you have fairly large hands and you think the iPhone is perfect something's up or you think that having a phone rest just on your fingers is a good thing.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
If you have fairly large hands and you think the iPhone is perfect something's up or you think that having a phone rest just on your fingers is a good thing.

I have fairly large hands, and have zero complaints about my iPhone.

I had a Droid RAZR and felt it was too large. It was just enough to be "odd" feeling.

Nothing is "up". It's all preference. I prefer the size and overall feel over a 4" screen.

I'm not against a 4" screen but every phone that has had one either is either wider (aka the RAZR) due to pushing a bit more to the sides to give it a thinner profile or it pushes a bit more of the fatter profile as they pack it into a more "standard" width.

Once they can do edge to edge 4" screens, and the tech is slim enough it can fit into a "close" to iPhone 4 width/thickness I think the 4" screen will blow up but I prefer the size/shape of my iPhone over any of the 4" screens I've used (and I have played with quite a few before I went w/ the RAZR... which eventually got returned).

It's just a matter of personal preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.