My Review of the iPhone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Downloading a 50 MB podcast takes 3-5 seconds.

might want to exaggerate that a little less. At 10mbps which is lets say the average LTE speed in your area, the theoretical max speed would be around 1.25 megabytes per second. You do the math.

Maybe you meant streaming?

Comment

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
California
Downloading a 50 MB podcast takes 3-5 seconds.

might want to exaggerate that a little less. At 10mbps which is lets say the average LTE speed in your area, the theoretical max speed would be around 1.25 megabytes per second. You do the math.

Maybe you meant streaming?
I meant streaming, hah! Thanks for the feedback. I'll make the change =)

Comment

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I read it as well, and thought it was a good review. Well written.

Comment

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
California
The reason why it doesn't give a blue hue when viewed sideways is because of the IPS
Thanks! Isn't it beautiful? I also used a Lumia with an AMOLED display and noticed the same eerie glow... not to mention the viewing angle isn't nearly as great.

Comment

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Thanks! Isn't it beautiful? I also used a Lumia with an AMOLED display and noticed the same eerie glow... not to mention the viewing angle isn't nearly as great.
Yeah they have poor viewing angles

I actually haven't held an iPhone 5 yet. But I think I can relate to the icons looking they're floating on the screen because I've seen an HTC One X and seen similar.

Comment

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
California
Most importantly... did you have your phone delivered via FedEx? :p
Nope, UPS. I'm not so sure the carriers had anything to do with the issues, though, as that phone is packed pretty tight. Likely off the assembly line.

Comment

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Tarun

Thanks for the detailed review. I had a quick question regarding the Wi-Fi speeds which are 5 Mb/s and 3.14 MB/sec, yet you have a statement "My jaw dropped when I ran this test, but is is even more impressive in practice"

Don't you think the Wi-Fi speed was underwhelming?

I focused on the screen size, device design, and speed and how it impacts the overall user experience of the device. I know this is later than others, but I wanted to take my time in using it before making snap judgments.

http://www.tarun.info/prototype/2012/10/05/iphone-5/

Comment

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
California
Tarun

Thanks for the detailed review. I had a quick question regarding the Wi-Fi speeds which are 5 Mb/s and 3.14 MB/sec, yet you have a statement "My jaw dropped when I ran this test, but is is even more impressive in practice"

Don't you think the Wi-Fi speed was underwhelming?
Thanks for reading! Sorry for the confusing statement. I've edited to say:

The top run is on wi-fi at Indiana University. The bottom run is on wi-fi at my home. The middle runs are all on LTE. As you can see, cellular data speeds on LTE produce jaw-dropping results, and these speeds are even more impressive in practical situations.
In other words, I was referring to the (impressive) LTE speeds.

Comment

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I just read a little of your review and the first paragraph was what stood out to me.

The iPhone 5 is a symphony of advancements in smartphone computing. The individual improvements that Apple has made on its flagship device are not intended to stand alone in any way. The 4” screen is a marvel to look at, but it is complemented by hardware that pushes the limits of phone manufacturing. The technical engineering is balanced by a new acoustics system. The iPhone’s hardware speed complements an equally improved cellular data speed with LTE. As Apple stated, the iPhone was completely redesigned from the ground up. The result is a phone that only makes me wonder: how do they possibly top this one?
The short sentences makes it really awkward to read.

Sorry for being a an ******* but I am just voicing out my opinion.

Comment

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
California
I just read a little of your review and the first paragraph was what stood out to me.

The short sentences makes it really awkward to read.

Sorry for being a an ******* but I am just voicing out my opinion.
Thanks for reading and the feedback. Style varies from one person to the next. I try to be succinct.

Comment
Status
Not open for further replies.