My review on Canon Legria HF200

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by neonkru, Feb 8, 2010.

1. neonkru macrumors regular

Hi! Recently i purchased a Canon Legria HF200 (Europe Version) Vixia for US Version.´

The image quality is very good, it has good colors and ofcourse it shoots at full 1080 hd.

I got it for 300usd from a man that used it for 2 months. It's still like new and warranty period extended until august 2011. For the price i got i can say it's a very good deal. However i wouldn't be satisfied if i were to pay it's original price. I would say, REALLY! It is not worth it. I miss the capability of Shooting more than 25/30fps, when you are shooting something like a sports or if you want to use some slow motion effects, it will be crappy with only 25/30 fps video footage. But there's nothing you can do there, you get what you pay for.

Low Light quality (night video footage) ins't the best, you get some noise, but it's still acceptable and you will be able to enjoy the video you get. I tested it several times inside a car at night using various modes but i can't post it here right now cause my imac went for display replacement (blame yellow tinge).

Although i'm not very happy with the frame rate i think it still did great filming some skateboarding scenes. here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCeQwCVlEUI

i used the lens at 1/250 and 1/500 using 1080i50 video mode. I still haven't gone deep inside in PF25 but it doesn't really matter because it won't make the camera better. It's just another functionality.

There is a particular aspect i love in this camera. The Micro input for 3.5mm is really a good feature. Using external micro in a camera is very important for some events that require a better sound coverage.

I won't go into details because if you want specifications and details of what is capable, that kind of information is on the canon website.

This is my personal experience with canon HF200. It's a good camera for low cost consumer. If you're not sure of what to get and don't wan't to spend that much, i would recommend the canon hf200. But then again, i shoot a lot of skateboarding videos and stuff like that, if it weren't for the 300usd i wouldn't have purchased this camera.

PS: Sorry my english, i guess i'm out of practice =P

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I recently bought the HF20 (vixia, same thing as the HF200 but with 32GB internal storage). Paid $500 for it, very satisfied, with the exception of low light. It's bearable but could be a lot better. Wish it could do IR recording.

Like what you said, I wouldn't pay more than the $500 for what I got.