My Ridiculously Great Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rican, Jul 15, 2008.

1. rican macrumors 6502

rican

Uhmm.. I know people have been posting on the forum about their battery, but for some reason my battery has been exceptionally awesome..

This is day 2 without charging it.. and i still have a little less than half..

mind you 3G is on constantly, I text a lot (about 400 back & forth) and 5 minute conversations.. i'd say 5 in one day..

Did i get a supreme iPhone? I'm actually very shocked. i haven't charged this thing since yesterday at 4am... and now it is 10:53am the following day...

2. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I havent tested mine to see how long it will drain completely, but I have noticed it has gotten a lot better since day 1.
    I keep it on the charger all day at work and from 5pm yesterday til 10am this morning, I used it for about 10-15 min surfing with 3G and Wifi on, talked about 30-45 minutes, sent about 4-5 texts and played with some apps and before I put it on the charger, I still had a good 70% left. :D

3. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

that does indeed sound exceptionally awesome. lucky you!

4. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

My iphone battery is not lasting very long. I had to charge my iPhone battery 3 times yesterday. In the morning when I got into work. In the after before leaving work, and in the evening when I got home. The previous iPhone I would only have to charge it in the evening. I am thinking of restoring the iPhone I have noticed it being a bit buggy. I also need to figure out how I am draining the battery so quickly...:mad:

5. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

well, did you drain your battery the first time you got it? I did NOT drain my iPhone 3G's battery so im wondering why my battery is lasting..?

I got lucky though, maybe you should try to take it to Apple and see what the problem is, and have it swapped for another one?

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It does sound exceptionally good! I'm pretty happy with my battery life but it's nowhere near as good as that:
    Unplugged from the charger @ 6:00am, listened to music most of the day, make a couple of long phone, sent 1/2 dozen texts and it's just dropped off to 20% full now, 10 hours later. This is with Bluetooth, 3G, Location services, etc all turned on.
    With smartphones, my benchmark has always been whether it will get me through a working day without charging. The iPhone does, so I'm happy :)

7. Sphyrna macrumors regular

Wow, that does sound like a great battery! What's your useage and standby times show?

8. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I think it's all relative to what the user is doing with their phone. Just texting and making a few short phone calls won't drain it. However surfing the web, playing music, using apps, using wifi all use more battery than anything else. I mean if I just let me phone sit all day it would last 2 days at least. I plan on testing mine out to see how much it can handle in a day.

9. domcole macrumors regular

I'm sure someone said on here, because of the sort of battery used, it wasn't essential to have to drain you're battery the first time etc?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There still hasn't been a definite procedure to follow the first time you get the iPhone (charging)

:eek:

10. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

well i am usually on my phone always, it says 7 hrs usage, but now i am docking it back to be charged.. I will see what happens again when it comes off.. and is fully charged again.

11. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I don't have a 3G yet, but remember when I got my first generation iPhone. The battery life was ok, but two weeks after I got it, I completely drained it, fully charged it, completely drained it and fully charged it again and it was fantastic after that.

I read somewhere that this was what you should do and it worked like a charm for me.

I was showing it off all the time, making calls all the time, on Wi-Fi a lot and would go 5-6 days without charging it.

Maybe this one needs the same touch?

Looking forward to getting mine when Rogers (I'm in Canada), finally gets their finger out and figures out how they're going to deal with corporate plans.

Cheers.

12. domcole macrumors regular

Nice one!

What did you do the first time you got it though? Like I'm sure it comes with a full battery? Do you use it all up, until it doesn't power on then charge it fully then repeat?

Thanks.

13. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I just used it normally when I first got it. Putting it on charge say every second night. It was only after I read that article, that I totally drained it, so it wouldn't power on at all, then fully charged it and fully drained it again so it wouldn't power on. It was brilliant after that.

Hoping this works for 3G too. Not that I'm ever too far away from a charger though, but still, it'd be nice to not have to think about charging it every couple of days.

Cheers.

14. View macrumors regular

I think it all depends on the usage.
    If you just use txt and only 5 min talk then I would expect it to last that long.
    But if you downloading/playing with all the apps or using iPod/youtube all they, then it wouldn't last one day.

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

No way. I don't mean to be rude, and I'm not trying to insult you, but there's no way.

16. View macrumors regular

I agree with you

17. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 8gb: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

I think what really kills my battery are the 3d applications and Internet surfing. Not just having 3g constantly activated

18. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

i agree with you. Badandy

19. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I'm talking about iPhone first generation, not 3G and I'm afraid it was completely true.

And I'm not insulted at all, your mileage may vary (and obviously does).

I don't have the phone anymore alas so I can't tell you what it's like now.

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I mean I know there are some variations in battery life between phones, even of the same model, but the iPhone doesn't even last 5-6 days in standby mode. I don't see how it could last that actually being used.

EDIT: It turns out the standby on the new 3G (I know you were on a first gen iPhone) is 300 hours, so I'm going to say that the old iPhone probably could last on standby for 5-6 days. But with ANY kind of use, I still don't see how it could last that long.

21. Surely Guest

Surely

No way. 5-6 days without charging?

With this kind of use?: "I was showing it off all the time, making calls all the time, on Wi-Fi a lot and would go 5-6 days without charging it."

Sorry my Canadian friend, I just don't believe it.

My battery is great, but I would still have to charge it every second day with the type of usage you're talking about. There's no way any iPhone battery can be stretched 5-6 days with your type of usage.

22. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

Yeah the battery is great but NOT that great! only one can dream of a battery like that for the iPhone...

my 2G iphone's battery was horrible ... Lasted one through one day.... ah whatever, i'm happy with my 3G battery now... it has really impressed me.

23. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i also don't understand how so many people's batteries are "below par" even thhough this is what they should of expected due to the 3G radio. Yesterday i got a good 5 hours with about 10-15% percent remaining. That included push on the whole day unless there was wifi (then it automatically switched), meaning 3G was on the whole day, surfed the web for a total of close to 1 hour, about 45-50 minutes of talk time, and a lot of text messaging. If i didn't charge it last night, i would have taken a screen shot of usage and put it up.

24. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Well...MY phone USED to be like that. The battery would last for days and days with heavy usage, and not a single re-charge.

BUT, ever since 2.0, and apps, the battery drains REALLY quickly. Granted, I HAVE been using a lot of apps -- so of course that's part of the reason. However, even when I don't use anything for several hours, I can still see the battery level actually getting lower -- which sucks, because that NEVER happened before (and I don't even have it on wi-fi).

25. spacetycho macrumors member

spacetycho

battery

the battery life for my 3G is very poor compared to my old crappy nokia flip phone which lasted 3 days before charging.

i am charging the iPhone 3G at least twice a day using apps and web access moderately.

i guess that's the price for the coolest gadget on earth!

things i want on the next version, so far:
    -better battery life
    -cut/copy/paste
    -better camera w/ video
    -front camera for iChat
    -free protective case, properly designed (like my wii controller)(i have been through 2 cases and they both suck)
    -longer usb cable(with the magnet thing like the macbooks)
    -free car charger