My rMBP doesn't recognize the Apple USB SuperDrive.. Need help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonjinse, Jul 27, 2013.

1. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

Just got a new Macbook pro with retina display and I can't get it to recognize the Apple USB Super drive plugged into the USB port.
    The disk spins up but never mounts on the desktop.
    I tried to insert the DVD, but it still didn't work and I can't eject the DVD!
    I had to get it out by using 2 credit cards to pull the DVD out.

The Apple USB superdrive model is: MD564ZM/A.
    It's the used one that I got from ebay.

The seller said that it works with Macbook Pro retina and MacBook Air.

1.What should I do?
    2. Is it something wrong with my macbook pro or the USB superdrive?
    3. Is it under 1 year limited warranty cover?

Thanks guys

2. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

If other devices work with your USB port then it's definitely the Superdrive.

In any event from my experience the Apple USB Superdrive is a flat-out POS .

I bought one new with my rMBP at the Apple Store. Under no stress or abuse whatsoever, sitting on a computer desk, it suddenly stopped ejecting disks. The eject mechanism flat out failed for no reason whatsoever. I ended up having to hold the Superdrive downwards while hitting eject on my Mac so I could get the gravity-assisted disc to spit out of the drive.

I'm on my second one (a warranty replacement, I wouldn't think of paying $$ for another one). My hopes are not high that this one will last either.

That said, having bought a used one from eBay you may be SOL. Apple might have some sympathy for you though, you never know.

In any case, lesson learned. I hear the external Samsung BluRay writers are pretty good.

3. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much!
    I ended up return this thing.. and repurchased a Open-box one from Bestbuy.
    I heard about Samsung external optical drive too. Unfortunately, there is no Samsung external optical drive in Bestbuy that is close to my house.

Well, hopefully this one works!

Thank you!

4. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

So glad I read this. I've been going back and forth between the Apple External and the Samsung Blu Ray. The Apple cosmetically was Made for the rMBP. They just look so good together. But the Samsung plays Blu Ray. Couldn't decide. Now that I have read this my decision has been made. Samsung it is

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

just a query I browsed through the external blu-rays but most of them do not show osx as compatible. Would it still function? and how do we need to go about setting them up. The 'Y' cable used on these drives gives me a doubt. will it reach around to the right/left side where the other port is located especially on our retinas, keep in mind the 15 inchers.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I simply bought a LG BluRay burner without even considering such questions, placed it into a simple 3.5" enclosure and it has been working ever since. It reads and writes media as any other optical drive. Problem is, if you intend to watch BD movies, you will need a player software, as Apple's bundled DVD Player is no good for that. Selection for OS X platform is scarce at best: I only have tried the Mac Blu-Ray Player.
    PS You will also need a special program (like Toast Titanium + HD Plug-In), if you intend to burn BD media playable in regular BluRay player. Again, OS X's bundled software is only capable of mastering DVD Video disks, not BD.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Hopefully the OP's new drive will work..I've used one with my rMBP and it worked fine. I now have an Asus BRD USB3 drive, and that flies either on my iMac, or on my laptop.

8. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

My sister has a Samsung SE-506 that she has been running without any issue on an 15 in. rMBP (sans BluRay playback, you need additional software for that). It's a USB 2.0 drive:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-506BB-TSBD-External-Blu-ray/dp/B00AO1XFM0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3U5L1POKVADXY&coliid=I1HMKYOMZ3X9IK

As for the Superdrive, the reviews on the Apple Store website say it all. It's received some pretty terrible reviews, and almost as many 1 star reviews as 5 star ones.

9. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you guys know about Samsung SE208 and SE218?
    Which one is better?