My rMBP is Ringing when a call comes into my iPhone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rocknblogger, May 20, 2013.

1. rocknblogger, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

So as the title says, when a call comes in to my iPhone my rMBP starts ringing before the iPhone. It's a pleasant sound but this only started about a week ago. The first time it happened I was going nuts trying to figure out where the sound was coming from. After the third call I realized it was incoming calls that were doing this.

I called my iPhone from the house phone and sure enough my rMBP started ringing before the iPhone.

What is this? Has anyone experienced this?

2. hammm macrumors member

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

do you have imessage or something active?

I doubt the radio interference...I have 2MBPs and an iMac and none of them make a sound when the phones ring.

4. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

6. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

No it doesn't sound like that and it's not interference. It's a melodic ring. Something like when you get a FaceTime call but different. I tried opening FaceTime and messages but neither showed anything regarding incoming calls. As a matter of fact a few minutes ago my wife called me and I heard the rMBP because it was fairly loud (I was in another part of the house). When I reached my office the iPhone just started ringing. This is quite bizarre and I have no idea what to do or why it started.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Do you have your iPhone paired with your Macbook via bluetooth?

8. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Nope, not paired with BT.

For those who are skeptical I've uploaded a video to Youtube. It's kind of crappy (A testament to the terrible iPad2 video/camera)

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Is it that beeping that repeats itself for about 10sec before your phone rang?

10. fratey macrumors regular

* Do you have any VOIP or similar software? Skype? Viber? Etc...
    * Does it get turned off if you mute your speakers?

11. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes thats the sound.
    I have Skype installed but not running.

No that it makes a difference but full specs are:
    Early 2013 rMBP
    16GB RAM
    512 SSD

Currently running in clam shell mode but it happened when operating normally. As a matter of fact I only started using clam shell mode 2 days ago.

12. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

That's friggin weird. Do you have some sort of carrier software installed on your mac? I know here in Canada we have carrier apps we can install for checking voicemails and other stuff tied to your number through a PC.

Maybe there's something similar for US carriers that you installed that allows for notification of incoming calls?

13. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Did the previous owner die in a freakish accident in your house?

14. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Nope nothing like that. And to the next poster, no one died here as far as I know :eek:

This is bizarre. I have no idea how to stop it. Actually it's not too bad because it gives me a heads up that a call will be coming in but I want to know what the hell it is. And FYI I can replicate it every single time. Both from a land line and a mobile phone.

15. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Open activity monitor, change "my processes" to "all processes" and post screenshots of all running processes here. Maybe that can help us single out the source.

16. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

17. negativzero macrumors 6502a

Might be a longshot, but bring up activity monitor, line up the tasks with highest CPU usage then make a phonecall to yourself.

You might see a process startup that you might be unfamiliar with that spikes the CPU for a few seconds.

18. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Okay, I finally figured it out. It was Google Chrome and the new Hangouts feature. Evidently you can take a voice call from a landline or a cell phone as long as you are logged into Google+.

It's actually a very cool feature though I wish they explained it a bit better when they activated the new hangouts feature.

I always had Google+ and had it open quite a bit but this is the first time ever that my computer rang (Before my iPhone).

So, the mystery is solved. I suppose some folks will hate this and some will find it useful. But whatever the case give it a try, it is pretty cool.

19. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I found that video actually pretty funny. A creepy ring 10 seconds before a call, who wouldn't love that?!

20. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Glad you finally figured it out !