My rMBP runs "too cool". Something wrong?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GP20, Jan 25, 2014.

1. GP20, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

GP20 macrumors member

I just got a replacement late '13 Macbook Pro 15 retina - the 2.3Ghz model. The previous one that I returned was running too hot.

I tested the machines with Geekbench 32bit and monitored the temperature and fan speeds with iStat. During the tests, the previous rMBP's temperature went up as high as 230~240F and the fans were blasting at +6000RPM like fighter jets.

The new replacement only gets as hot as 190F and the fan speeds NEVER go above 2500RPM with no fan noise. I should be happy that my machine runs so cool, right?

But since then, I've compared with 2 other rMBP 15 2.3Ghz, and both their temperatures are in the range of 200F~210F and the fan speeds are about 3200RPM, with a slight bit of fan noise.

So now it got me wondering, could there be something wrong with my replacement rMBP that it's not running to its full potentials? What programs can I use to test the rest of the machine? (Particularly the GPU processing)

2. kelon111 macrumors 6502

190 degrees F is almost 90 degrees C. That is not cool for a CPU. That's actually near the throttling point IIRC.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4. GP20 thread starter macrumors member

But while the fan speeds are not as high as the other 2 rMBP's (2500rpm vs 3200rpm), the temperature is also 20F lower than the other 2 rMBPs. If it's simply that the fans aren't spinning as fast as they should, wouldn't that mean the temperature should be higher than the other 2 rMBPs as well?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your fans need to be that high, that's the point. The CPU starts throttling around 90c (or 100c, I forget). You are running at 87c.

As a point of interest, my rMBP never really gets adobe 40c for most tasks, but when it does, I can hear the fans ramping up. When the Mac gets hotter you really want the fans to keep pace with the temps.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's not cool at all.

If your concerned that your fans are responding well, I would perform a SMC reset.

7. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Your computer does not at all run cool. It's very hot and i would go back to apple again.

8. blooperz macrumors 6502

Ive used 3 late 2013 15" rMBPs so far. All of them sit between 90-95 celsius during heavy usage over prolonged periods of time. ~37-43 celsius during light usage (browsing)...Sounds normal to me

9. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Really? How can you see how hot it is, I'm sure mine deffinentaly is not that hot.

10. blooperz macrumors 6502

Istat menus 4, they have a free trial. It's a nice piece of software

11. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

My trial was out of time the first time opened it. lol.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

230-240F is beyond the specifications of the cpu. If your machine ran like that, you would be looking at early hardware failure. It's absurd that Apple would design these things to regularly run at Tjunction under heavy loads. Note the exact specs here.

13. Cmd-the-World macrumors regular

I run Geekbench 32bit Mode and the highest CPU temperature recorded was 79ºC and it was only for a very brief time 2-4sec total. Personally I use the app Macs Fan Control to control the fans of the rMBP. The fan speed are set to dynamically increase and decrease with the temperature of the CPU.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

One more thing I should mention is if your other computer are running hot and the fans are spinning high, perhaps there are other issues at place like too much thermal paste.

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The temp has NO effect until it triggers throttling or shutdown. Below those levels it runs the same at ALL temperatures (within spec), it cannot run "too cool".

Its a digital machine, not an internal combustion engine that needs to warm up.

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

My MBP (no r) keeps the fans idle until it hits 80 or 85 C, and only then ramps them up to find a stable temperature.